Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2023

4/21/23 Report - $20 Million Dollar Heist Include Boxes of Gold. Closer Study of Mystery Items.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Six Lead Beach-Dug Objects (Styli)?

As you probably know, I've been trying to figure out what these things are.  I dug them one by one on beaches over a period of years.  I no longer remember which ones were found where because I didn't take them seriously enough as finds to record those details.  After all these years, and having studied them more intently in recent years, I still do not know for sure what they are, although there are a couple of good possibilities.  As I've said in the past, items like these are often referred to, and there are many of them listed in the PAS database, as styli, but there are also archaeologists that think objects like these are fishing net weights.  I don't know how they would be attached. I'm still uncertain and continue to study them in the hope of finding convincing evidence of their identity.  That might never happen.

Above are six that I've found.  I recently stumbled across two more.  I am trying to better organize finds better, which would have been easier if I took more pains to do that long ago.   I'm sure many of you have no interest in these mundane finds, and I didn't find them very interesting myself, but they have become more interesting to me lately.  

The first two shown above (on the left) are about 2.5 inches in length.  The next three are about 2.75 inches long.  And the last is about 3.25 inches long.

Some are more encrusted, or have a heavier patina, than others.  They all show some rusty colored spots - some more than others.  It seems they might have some association with iron.

Most have one end that is more pointed and one end that is more blunt.  Two show indentations on the blunt end, and one of those indentations seems to definitely be intentional.


Indentation on Blunt End of One Object.

And the one below appears to be worked or carved.


Apparently Carved or Modified End of One Object.


Two of the objects show what appears to be mold seams.  Others do not.  Mold seams in soft lead could easily disappear with wear and time.

Mold Seam on One Lead Object.

The object below is the cleanest of the six and shows the clearest evidence of being made in a mold.

End of Longest and Cleanest Object.

That one looks newer.  It has less patina and the mold seam is clear and sharp.

One and and only one has a smaller lump on the blunter end.  Could it be a sprue?


Knob on End of Lead Object.

I know I've talked a lot about these objects, and you might not find them interesting, but I am hoping to someday figure out what they are.  For me they are mystery items.  

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Over the years you will accumulate finds.  If you find one of a kind, there is a very good possibility you will find at least one another.  Sometimes the first takes so long, it might seem like there will never be another, but then there is.

As I've said many times, labeling and organizing finds can be helpful.  You can find things that don't seem at all interesting until you learn more about them.  

---

There are some finds that take so long that you think you'll never find another, and then you do.  There can be many years between finds like that.

At one time it seemed to me I'd never find my first Spanish reale, but after the years have passed, I look back, and the time it took me to find my first was not really very long at all.  Then I wanted to find the second.  

After finding several half reales, I wanted to find an eight reales.  Oddly, I found an escudo before my first reale.  When you find one example, it takes away some of the mystique.  When accomplish a goal, there is always another bigger one out there.  As they say, your goal must exceed your grasp.  That is what keeps you going.

There is something about firsts, though.  They can stick in your memory.  Not only does the first find of a particular type increase your confidence, but it also tells you something about the area or types of areas where you can find them.  It also tells you that you are doing some things right, even if not everything. 

Some finds will remain one of a kind for a long time.  I can think of several that took many years before I found the first and then it seemed like I'd never find the second, but after more years then I did find another, and in some cases, another and another.  It can be years between.

I only found on clay pipe - ever -, and that wasn't too many years ago.  And I found it in an area that I'd been over many, many times.  I didn't expect to find one, and the years seemed to confirm that I would not, so I was all the more amazed when I findally found one.

I was pleased to find my first stoneware master ink,  It was not really a goal, but I was happy to get it.  And then it was years before finding another.  But then I found more, and they went from being unexpected surprises to commonplace finds.

One of the more addicting things about treasure hunting is the element of surprise.  You never know what you will find, and you can't control the timing.

Another thing about it is that as you have success, your goals will change.  In gamer terminology, I think they would say you level-up.  With success, you increase your goals, and with those new goals, the difficulty level increases, as does the rewards.

As you go to the next level of the hobby, hopefully you develop as a person as well.

With all the talk about our political leaders being too old, it really isn't about age.  It is about the processes that take place with aging.  You will lose some capabilities but hopefully gain compensatory experience and perspective.  Some call it wisdom.

Time takes its toll and begrudgingly gives its rewards.  Your body parts wear out, no matter how proud you are of your strength and endurance.  The sun damages your skin, and the wear and tear on your bones and joints won't be apparent until they reach a certain point. 

One benefit of experience is the changing perspective.  Elon Musk described the explosion of his recent "heavy" rocket as being a "rapid unscheduled disassembly."  Genius is a matter of being able to take a different perspective.  That is one thing that frightens the political elite, who want you to mindlessly take their perspective and follow them when they are among the least inspiring of all.  That is why they have to resort to trickery and force.

---

Canada gold heist: police investigating $20m of ‘high-value’ cargo stolen from Toronto airport...

 During that heist, six wooden boxes of gold were taken from a steel cage from the airport’s cargo area before they were loaded on a plane bound for Montreal...

According to the report, there were items of value other than gold included.

 Canada gold heist: police investigating $20m of ‘high-value’ cargo stolen from Toronto airport | Canada | The Guardian

---

The tides are good, but the surf predictions not so good.


Fort Pierce Surf Predictions.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net