Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

8/1/23 Report - Back Yard Spanish Reale Hoard. Sunken Roman Ship. Recalling Miscellaneous Search Events.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.



The wreckage of an ancient Roman ship from more than 2,000 years ago has been found off the coast of Italy.

The cargo ship was found off the port of Civitavecchia, about 50 miles (80km) north-west of Rome.

It dates from about the 1st or 2nd Century BC and was found laden with hundreds of amphorae - a type of Roman terracotta jar.

The pottery was found mostly intact, the Carabinieri police's art squad said in a statement.

Here is the link.

Ancient 2,000-year-old Roman shipwreck found off coast of Italy - BBC News

---

I've been talking about various Florida finds.  Today I'll mention a hoard of Spanish eight reales that was found in Fernandina Florida.  The dates of the coins range from 1683 to 1793, the presumed date of the deposit.  They were found in the backyard of a W. H. Schreck.

This hoard was described in the article, "Schreck has Prolific Back Yard," published in the Numismatist 42, no. 4 (April 1929): 251.

You can read that if you are a member.

The Numismatist Reading Room - American Numismatic Association : American Numismatic Association (money.org)

There is always a general point to take away.  This time it is a message I've given many times before.  Don't overlook your own back yard or those in your neighborhood.

---

Here are a few notes of interest recently sent to me by DJ in response to a recent post.  It starts with some comments on the Fort Capron Payroll gold coins lost at the old Indian River Inlet and goes on from there.


... Enjoyed reading about this again. In some of the material I researched years ago was a story about that written in the chronicle of the military. In one, the same paymaster had lost another payday’s worth of coins in a different location and had a kind of reputation for doing that.

The area of the old inlet today is now on a higher ridge around the Aquarina condo I believe. During the WWII naval base training days, a huge amount of land was moved around, bombed, used for equipment burial and trampled on.

It was common around ‘79 for tourists to get cut on old rusty of barnacle encrusted tank traps built for practice beach head landing prior to D-day.

Then, after tons of unexploded ordinance was found on the Fort Pierce beach north to Vero, the military came back and cleaned more up, move more sand and sifted all the sand mechanically and chemically to check for gunpowder and explosive residue. If an area showed residue, it was dug out and removed.

I had permission to hunt an empty lot west the beach dune about a mile south of the old inlet. Along with thousands of shredded aluminum cans, a buried chain link fence and some signs. (Fortunately, I could determine the shape from my detector signal or a small test hole.

But I did find a broken mortar fuse that at first look was an encrusted ball about baseball size. I tried to identify it by shape and construction with the help of a gentleman in the UK who collected mortar fuses and other WWII artifacts.

And I found the remains of an old heavy duty screen sifter. Made from old 1x4 and old copper stiff large mesh screen. Knowing rubies were found in the sand around Pepper Park, I could easily imagine someone trying to do some sifting long ago. Or maybe just a WWII cleanup tool...


Thank DJ. I've talked some in the past about some of those things. I remember seeing a huge barge brought in by the Army Corps of Engineers to remove those tank barriers. I at least once years ago.

I also mentioned in the past searching on the east of the river opposite the island where the old inlet was. One of the things I remember finding there was an old six-foot iron digging bar.

That reminds me. When I was a kid playing baseball, I would use one of those to throw like a javelin to strengthen my throwing arm. I couldn't throw it far, but it was good exercise.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

Nothing coming our way, although the low tides have been decent.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net






The April 10 New York Herald Tribune printed an article entitled "N.J. Fishermen Find Rare Gold Coins in River" and the next day, "Owner of Beach Trying to Stop N.J. Gold Rush." The same event was described in various newspapers for a few days in 1948.  What was a discovery, soon became a conflict, described as a "war" between treasure hunters and "beach owners."  I don't know the laws concerning beach access or ownership at that time in New Jersey, but it was a dramatic scene that got the attention of the newspapers.  The April 1 New York Herald Tribune printed an article entitled, "N.J. Rishermen Find Rare Gold Coins in River, and the next day, "Owner of Beach Trying to Stop N.J. Gold Rush."  Similar articles were printed in other newspapers.  The April 12 New York Times said, "Owner of Beach Trying to Stop N.J. Gold Rush."  Similar articles were printed in other newspapers.  That was in 1948.That was in 1948.
.






 

The New York Times wrote, "Jersey Gold Hunt Turns to Comedy as Beach Owners Battle Diggers.  All-Day War is Waged, with Bungalow Colony and the Police Making Sallies on Invaders - No Booty Found."








I was poorly educated.  In my many years of higher education, I never had a course in physics.  That is my fault, but I doubt it would have been the kind of course I wish I had.  I never learned about Quantum physics.  

All I knew about Quantum physics, until very recently, I learned from watching The Big Bang Theory TV show.  That is pretty pitiful. 

After actually looking into it, I discovered that I already knew some of the basics. Maybe I did read a little about it at some point, some of my own reasoning told me some of the same things.  I did learn about Operationism in college, and some other things, that by extension leads you to expect some of the observations of Quantum physics.  And somewhere along the line I read about  I found a nice course on the internet, which I just started.  My appreciation for Operationism and my interest in epistemology led me to views that form some of the basics of Quantum physics. 

It seems that Quantum physics can explain UFOs in a entirely different way than they are seen from our basically 17th century Newtonian physics.  But that is not where I'm going with this. 

It might be called brainstorming, or perhaps more descriptively as brain flatulence, but I was thinking as I often do around 4 or 5 AM that our educational system is failing us badly.  I'm a great example.

In a few minutes, I went from looking at the world from a 17th century viewpoint to a 19th century viewpoint.  It didn't take that but a few minutes to give me a few new helpful ideas, and I'm still a century or two behind.  I'm feeling cheated by our educational system, but it was probably my own fault.  Or maybe it just takes time for some things to come together in your mind.  

But I was thinking that the failure to educate our youth could be intentional very much like during slavery.  Not that all those of the educational establishment are aware of it.  

We are bound by the limits of our understanding.  There are those who love being confined by the concrete walls of their current beliefs. They don't want to be made uncomfortable by anything that challenges their current understanding or beliefs.  They think it dangerous to step outside their confines.  You never learn anything significant without changing your mind.

In this day when our youth don't know things like who won the Revolutionary War or who fought in the Civil War, is the ignorance intentionally propagated?  I don't know.  It seems that way to me.  If there is an elite that wants to maintain their status and control, that is one thing they would do.

Some theories are correct - even conspiracy theories.

But no matter if it is intentional or not, people can be lifted by education, and the way we are doing it now isn't good enough.  It could easily be much better.  So why isn't it?








.