Search This Blog

Friday, November 10, 2023

11/10/23 Report - Detectorists Discover Group of Gold Coins. A Less Common U.S. Coin In My Finds. Lorenzo Jewelry Find.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.




A team of metal detectorists discovered a treasure hoard of American and Russian gold coins in a Polish forest recently.

The detectorists from the Szczecin Search Group Association were conducting a survey to find relics from WW2, in particular, traces of the Battle of Szczec, fought between the Soviet Red Army and the Wehrmacht.

They have found 70 coins deposited in a heavily corroded metal can buried at a depth of approximately 15 to 20 cm’s. The total discovery has been estimated to be worth 100,000 zloty, which is over 24,000 US dollars based on current conversion rates...

Here is the link for more about that.

Hoard of American and Russian Gold Coins Found in Polish Forest (greekreporter.com)

Thanks to William K. for that link.

---

I often put some finds aside for one reason or another and intend to get back to them later.  Sometimes I put them aside for cleaning.  Other times I put them aside until I have time to do more research.  And sometimes I just don't notice anything that draws attention to the item at first glance. 

I just noticed this coin in a group of coins I was ready to spend.  I didn't know what it was until I looked at it more closely.

I don't know exactly when I found it, but it probably wasn't long ago.

 

1944 D Ten Centavos Philippines Coin.

It is a little smaller than a dime and is 57% silver.  Has a melt value of around $1.10.  

I probably just threw it in my pocket as a dime.

---

Here is a find which I thought was costume jewelry.


Pendant Marked "Lorenzo 18kt - 970."

 Then I noticed the latch and hinge (above right).

And the mark (below).  It is marked "Lorenzo, 10k  970".


Marked Latch.

A little research revealed that Lorenzo jewelry is often 10 karat gold and sterling and features colored stones.

I was surprised to see that many  Lorenzo pieces sell for $200 or $300.


I still don't see the reason for the hinged bail.   

That item could have remained in my junk box unnoticed for a long time.  I really thought it was cheap costume jewelry.

I guess from time to time it can be worth taking another look through your finds.

---


Fort Pierce Inlet Area Surf Chart from SurfGuru.com.


Looks like we'll soon get some higher surf.

The high tides today will be fairly high again - slightly over three feet.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net.