Search This Blog

Friday, November 24, 2023

11/25/23 Report - Three Old Artifact Finds Including a Mystery Item or Two. New Treasure Coast Beach Renourishment Plans.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Three Finds for Identification.


Frank B. sent in these photos of three finds along with the following email.


Hi there, TreasureGuide,

I hope you are well! You published an article about taking another look at old finds and I decided to inspect some of my unidentified finds from my time detecting in Panama (the country) and Colombia a few years ago. I've attached some photos of 3 relics that piqued my curiosity today; dug on a site that had human activity from the mid-1500s (Spanish colonial) to the mid 1800s (Gold Rush 49er camp). I consulted the link you have posted on your site, Spanish Colonial Artifacts Ebook, and I believe I identified one of the items as a crossbow point (page 107 of the Ebook). But the other 2 I have no idea- one appears to be iron and the other lead- both are heavy. I was thinking maybe they are weight measures of some kind or perhaps the lead thing is a mold to make something (there's a hole at the top as if it was strung up somewhere and an indentation on the other end). I'd love to get your feedback on what you think they could be!

Thanks,
Frank


Thanks Frank.

The one item looks like a sounding lead.   Frank did some additional research and that seems to be correct.




What do you think the top-shaped item is?

----

Ohhhhhhh Noooooo.

Here we go again.  I said yesterday that Treasure Shores Park was going to be closed to begin a renourishment project.  But the renourishment is only starting there and will extend to Turtle Trail. 

Below is the Indian River County Facebook page (sent to me by DJ), which describes their plans.



Thanks to DJ for that alert.

---

Yesterday I showed a little rectangular metal box that was found by Dan B. who wondered what it might be.

Joe d. said, Dan's box,(can only base on the single pic) looks like a match box! Snuff boxes generally aren't that small a rectangular box!

My first thought was toothpick case, although it could be used for any of a variety of small but probably long thin objects, so it definitely could be a match case.

What do you think?

===

I just noticed that the Google stats on TreasureBeachesReport.blogspot.com showed almost 10,000 views yesterday.

===

The surf isn't going to be much, but there are going to be a couple big high tides Saturday.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net