Search This Blog

Saturday, December 2, 2023

12/2/23 Report - One Very Useful Tool for Detectorists. Gift Recommendation. Jostens Lost and Found Ring Site.

 


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Silver and Turquoise Watch Band Link.

One of the most useful tools I have is a digital microscope.  I find it very useful for inspecting finds.  Some people use a jeweler's loop, but I like using the microscope and viewing the magnified image on the large computer display.  It is very handy for inspecting coins and looking for small marks on other finds such as jewelry.

Above you see a silver and turquoise link for a watch band.  You can see the initials on the back. It looks like DJN.  I first found those initials while using the microscope even though they are visible with the naked eye.  Many marks on small jewelry items are almost invisible without magification and magnification is very helpful for inspecting coins.

I know smart phones can do a good job, but I prefer using my microscope.

That is my product recommendation for the day.



This one is several years old now, so you can probably get one that is even better.

Below is what I thought was a lapel pin.  Turns out, the back is not removable.  




After looking it up, I guess it is a boy scout pin.  



Marks on thin gold chains and earrings can be difficult to see.  Many are very small.  On earrings it is not unusual to find the marks on the posts.

Below is a found earring.



And here is the small mark I found on the clasp.



While on the subject of products.  One thing I've learned from years of Christmas gifts, is the very best have been experiences rather than things.

For example, one year I gave my parents a trip to NASA space camp.  That was the all-time favorite, especially for my dad.  

And the best one for my mother-in-law (now deceased) was a trip to Disney World.  Unfortunately, we only got her there once, but she was the type of person that really appreciated it.

The highlight was walking into Hollywood studios where they had the Osborne Christmas lights and as soon as we entered the area the Christmas lights all came on.  The timing was prefect, and it was something that she never forgot.  She was in her eighties at the time.

I usually have my Christmas decorations up by now but haven't even started this year.  With my mom's recent passing, I didn't get to it yet.  For the past six or seven years a big part of my everyday was caretaking.  That is why I didn't do a much detecting in recent years.  My wife spent the past few Christmases in West Virginia with her mother while I spent mine down here with mine.  

I had my mother in a wheelchair the night before she died.  I could see in her eyes that she was tired and giving up.  After getting her into bed, with much difficulty, not long later, I heard her, and then went in and tried to help her as she took her last breaths as my wife called 911.

Things don't mean much to me anymore other than the memories they carry.  

---

I found a Lost and Found site run by Jostens, which is the company that makes many class rings,  It is an impressively long list, but here is the link.

Lost & Found Rings | Jost

---

I took a little walk in the lagoon yesterday.  The water was high and I didn't find anything remarkable.  

It has been a long while since there has been a good low tide down there.

The wind is north today, but the surf is small.  The high tides are not as high.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net