Search This Blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

12/4/23 Report - A Beautiful Day on a Treasure Coast Beach and a Nice Metal Detector Find. Calendar Medals.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beach Report.


A Day At the Beach Saturday Morning
From Mike T.

I received these photos and the following email from Mike T.


... Thought I would share a few pics from yesterday mornings hunt. What a beautiful start of the day with the sunrise and lots of birds.

I have been searching for a white TDI/SL for quite some time as I am a huge fan of the PI machines. I do love my equinox 800 with the big coil and that is my beach sweeper but most of the time I hunt the beach with a PI machine I guess I just like to dig holes and enjoy the exercise. I finally found one on an old Metal Detecting classified form ad from a year ago. Thankfully, the guy still had it what a friendly fellow. It’s one of the tan units and it was like brand new. He only used it a few times, so I was very happy to obtain it.
 The beaches are all sanded in as we all know, but there are always those few spots as you say that if you keep your eye on them will produce even on the tough days. I hit one of those spots yesterday morning with the new TDI and the third target was this beautiful ring. You can see the rest of the hunt was challenging, but sometimes you just have to get out there hoping for that one good target.


Beautiful Ring Found by Mike T.


  As you say, there is always somewhere to hunt and something to find...

 Best wishes to you for the new year and happy holidays. As always thank you for sharing your thoughts with us all out here as it truly takes a village of many to bring about understanding. :)



Nature on View At The Beach.




The Ring Find Along with Some Other Finds Including Several Pieces of Seaglass.

Thanks for sharing Mike.  Congratulation on the nice find!

----

I once found a medallion with the Aztec claendar on it.  The design looked very much like this one.



I could probably find it, but didn't want to right now.  But the thing is, I just learned that calendar medals were used by some European companies as well as North America back as early as the 18th century.  That is something new to me.

An artifact excavated at Independence National Historical Park is showing us how our forbearers in colonial America kept track of dates. The object in question comes from a colonialera neighborhood that now lies buried beneath the streets of the modern city of Philadelphia. We don’t know everything about it yet, but we have a good start. We know that it is a calendar medal -- also called a calendar token, or calendar coin -- and we know that this object is giving us a small peak into some pretty big changes taking place in the 18th century...

Here is an example.


Here is a good link if you are interested in learning more about calendar medals.


----

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net