Search This Blog

Sunday, December 17, 2023

12/17/23 Report - Treasure Coast Beach Metal Detecting Conditions Rated as a High 2. Some Eroded Spots To Be Found.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Surfers On the Treasure Coast Sunday Afternoon.

The big news for me is the continuing windy weather.  The surf is predicted to remain fairly high for the next week, increasing again towards the end of the week.

The swells are coming from the east but the wind is from the west, making for some good surfing.  Many surfers were out today.

I didn't get out at all Saturday.  I was busy on a project almost the entire day.  For many, I suspect the wind and rain Saturday discouraged beach-going.  It certainly wasn't the most pleasant weather for lounging on the beach or putting up Christmas lights.  It did improve some Sunday afternoon.

The high tides are still fairly high.  I'd rate beach conditions as a 2 or maybe low 3 - if you remember my beach conditions rating scale that is a five-point scale going 1 for poor conditions up to a 5 for excellent metal detecting conditions.  (It has been a long time since we had level five conditions.)

I'd say there will be a few old shipwreck finds.  You'll find some good hunting where there are obstacles to the normal flow of sand even though you won't see extensive cutting on many of the shipwreck beaches, not to mention the renourishment sand.  I'd look for those scattered spots where the older sand isn't buried deeply.  That will often be away from renourishment sand or around rocks or other obstructions to the normal flow of sand.

I was almost ready to finish my Sunday post when the electricity went out in my neighborhood.  I then did a couple other things and went to the beach.  That is when I took the following photo of John Brooks.  

John Brooks Beach Sunday Afternoon.

There was a decent, maybe four-foot, cut up there.  

A couple days ago I posted a photo of the same area, and the cut was smaller then.  I think it had at least doubled since then.


John Brooks Sunday Afternoon.

The coins I found at John Brooks were down in the rough water. 


Detectorist at John Brooks Beach Sunday Afternoon.

 I decided to scout around for a spot where the older sand was closer to the surface and found the area below.


Exposed Rocks on Treasure Coast Beach Sunday Afternoon.

Here is a link about the severe weather conditions in Palm Beach county.

Wind and rain: South Florida watches for severe weather; strong storms expected (msn.com)

And here is a recent surf chart.

Surf Chart from SurfGuru.com.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net