Search This Blog

Sunday, December 3, 2023

12/3/23 Report - Inspecting Small Chains With Small Hallmark Tags. Native American Jewelry and Costume Jewelry Hallmark Sites.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Very Thin Gold Chain on Penny.

As I said yesterday, I've been inspecting finds that needed a closer look.  This chain is so small and thin that it looks to my naked eye very much like golden thread.  It is the kind of thing that is too small to do a decent rubbing and acid test, but if you look at it under sufficient magnification you can see that the label says 10K and it also has a trademark.  I used the Celestron microscope I mentioned yesterday and found that the chain, as thin as it is, is gold.

I had another chain that is about as thin, so I decided to look at it too.  Here is what I saw. when I placed it's tag next to the tag of the chain shown above.

Second Gold Chain with Rediculously Small Label.

I couldn't see with my naked eye if that little label had anything on it, but using the microscope I could see tht it is labeled LG14K.  I don't know what the LG is.  It could be the trademark.  But that mark is even smaller than the first.


Horseshoe Pendant on White Chain.


I also looked at a chain with a horseshoe pendant (shown above).  


Loop and Label From Horseshoe Pendant Chain.


So the little tag on that one shows 14K, but if you look closely at the hoop connector, it is also stamped 14K, but even smaller.  That one is certainly impossible to see with the naked eye.  The main point is that jewelry marks can be very small and may require using some form of magnification to find, as I said yesterday.

The chain shown below with the swan pendant was next.  Tat chain isn't so small.  It looks good, but I couldn't find any karat mark.

Swan Pendant on Chain.
.
.
The edge of the swan pendant is clearly marked Swarovski, which can easily be seen with the naked eye, but isn't shown in the photo.  Looking around some more, a swan mark and an "S" is seen in two or three other places, but no karat mark anywhere.

A little research showed that this chain and pendant is made of rhodium and holds Swarovski crystals and although there is no gold or diamonds is offered online for around $100.

Of the five chains I inspected yesterday, to my surprise, four were marked as gold and the one that was not gold was not worthless.  In fact they are usually offered for over one hundred dollars.


I didn't yet inspect three more thin chains that are in a tangled knot that I'll have to unravel.  I did see that one is marked 14K, but I can't tell which of the three the label belongs to since they are so tightly knotted.

Once again, the microscope was found to be very helpful.

---

You might remember yesterday that I showed a indigenous silver and turquoise part of a watch band.  I hoped to find out what artist goes by the DJN mark, but couldn't find it yet.  I did, however, find a web site that lists hallmarks for Native American jewelry makers.

Here is that link.


---

I also found a web site giving hallmarks for costume jewelry.  Some of it can be worth money.

Here is that link.

Costume Jewelry Hallmarks: A to Z – World of Eccentricity & Charm (worldeccentricitycharm.com)

---


Surf Chart for the Fort Pierce Inlet Area from SurfGuru.com.

Nothing exciting concerning beach conditions.  Todays high tide will not be as high either.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net