Search This Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2020

8/23/20 Report - Florida Keys To Get Some Good Surf. One Way to Find More Coins. Subsurface Beach Features: Along the River This Morning.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Tropical Storm Laura.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov

You probably know by now that it looks like Marco and Laura are predicted to go up through the Gulf towards Louisiana.  The Keys will get some high surf though.

Key West is predicted to get up to 18 feet Monday night.

There are some nice treasure coin beaches along the highway if you are down that way.  You don't have to go all the way to Key West.

---

I didn't have time to go to the beach today, so I stopped and took a little walk on the river.

I found a painted label Royal Crown bottle and another little surprise.

First though, along the beach, there was a gravel line.  It was mostly covered and ran right along teh front of the beach just under a thin layer of sand. In areas where the beach got cut back a little, some of the gravel line was exposed.  You could track it along most of the beach with a probe.

Here is a photo where some of the gravel was exposed, and that is where I found a little surprise this morning.

Top of The Gravel Layer Slightly Exposed.

al
Alligator Scute.


Alligator Scute.

I've encountered alligators in the river and have found a few (very few) fossils down there, but this was a surprise this morning.

The gravel line was the most interesting thing for me.  It was easy to trace and was very much like the buried shell line that I followed when I found the rings at Douglass Beach back not too long ago.  

You might not know that the bunch of reales Jonah found on the beach a few months ago, was found in a gravel layer.

---

Nick A. sent me the following email and photos.

Here is what he said.

...  I think it's also an advantage hunting in the area you grew up in, you understand more of what was on the property. The Fort Pierce area and beaches are totally different now since I was born here in 58. 

One day back in February 2020 I was out for a ride and I noticed some excavation being done in a FP city park. I've detected this park before but this is a new area and a new layer uncovered. I ran home got my AT/Pro and after the city workers left, started my hunt. I returned every morning before they started and came back again after they stopped for the next 5 days. Hard work, but fun. I knew the last process of this construction would cover this area, so you gotta get it when you can.

These are my finds for 6 days of hunting. Quite a few clad coins, but did find a 1941 & 1942 quarter, 1954 dime and a 1919 wheat penny. A little bit of jewelry and other miscellaneous stuff. Who knows, maybe I lost a coin here after school in the 60's!! Happy Hunting!!

Thanks,  
Nick 

Construction at Park.
Photo by Nick A.


Nick's Finds.

---


As I've said before, no one knows a neighborhood like the kids that grew up there.

I always liked to hunt carnival or fair grounds right after a fair. I never found much gold that way, but you could always pick up a lot of coins quickly. Most were not even buried, so there was very little digging. And occasionally there was a little surprise.


---

There are surface features that you can see when you look at a beach, but there are also buried features.  You can read a beach by looking at it, but there are also buried features that can provide important information.  Everybody knows, for example, to look for the older layers of sand.  But there are other things to look for too.

---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net