Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2020

8/3/20 Report - Part II. South Hutchinson Island Beaches and Turtle Trail Today. Invest 94. Detectorists Reporting Mostly Modern.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of tbr2020.blogspot.com.

Turtle Trail 8 AM Monday.

These photos of Turtle Trail were posted minutes after they were taken Monday morning, thanks to DJ.

As you can see there are no apparent big cuts of cliffs or anything like that.  Next best thing to being there.  

Turtle Trail 8 AM Monday.
Photo by DJ.

You can see the tops blowing off the waves, showing an off-shore wind.  The more you know the more you will notice and the more you will get out of pictures.

Beach photos don't always have to be current to be valuable, although these ones are both.  One of the things that I've posted that helped people understand what causes the best beach metal detecting conditions, is a detailed report from the weather service describing the 1984 Thanksgiving Storm, The 84 Thanksgiving Storm is legendary for beach metal detecting.  Of course most of you weren't around then, but it was a big treasure hunting day.  But the important point I'm making is that what happened in the past, both distant and recent, can can provide additional understanding of beach dynamics and what causes good metal detecting conditions.

---

I visited South Hutchinson Island again Monday afternoon.  There were a lot of detectorists on those beaches again today.  It would seem every square inch of sand got detected multiple times over the past two days.


Just South of The Condos North of John Brooks Monday Afternoon.


You can see two detectorists in the photo.  The cuts here were somewhat larger than down by the John Brooks access.  


Same Location Up By the Condos.

A group of guys detected this area heavily yesterday.

What amazed me today is the number of targets that were still on these beaches even after all of the metal detecting.


Calm Surf Near Low Tide at John Brooks Monday Afternoon. 




John Brooks Beach and Detectorists Monday Afternoon.




I did some detecting at Frederick Douglass even though it looked like it had already been gridded  heavily and there were still about six detectorists there.

There were still plenty of targets.  I found some Sunday and figured I'd pick up where I left off Monday.  That was successful.

The targets that remained were deep though.  I don't think I recovered one that was not at least a foot deep.  All of the easier surface targets, if there were any, were gone.  I didn't really understand that shy so many remained, even though they were deep.  I was just using the Equinox, which I don't think of as my deepest seeking detector.  Being an old man and in the hot sun, I didn't really want to spend the afternoon digging to China.  Maybe the Equinox does better on deep targets than I thought.  I have a little more respect for it now.   And I did leave some targets that were deeper than I felt like digging today.  

They were all modern, and included junk, junk jewelry, which others might have discriminated, but also modern coins and gold jewelry.

I discovered the line yesterday and and knew there would be  more to it.

I'll post some photos of those some time.

---

Jonah told me he and his friends discovered a lot of targets, consisting of a lot of melted lead bits, some coins and miscellaneous things.

It appears that there have been some things found since Esaias went through, but I haven't yet heard of any old shipwreck coins.

---

As you know Esaias is now north of us and our surf is now down to around three feet.  It will continue to decrease for a few days.

Invest 94 looks like it will stay out to sea.




You can find the above graphic and others related to the tropics on the topic tracker link I added to the first page of this blog.  Very handy.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net