Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2020

8/9/20 Report - 150 Plus Year-Old Coin Found On Treasure Coast After Isaias. Sharing. Treasure Coast Sharks Teeth You Can Find

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Large Cent Found on Treasure Coast After Esiais by Mitch King.
Photos by Mitch King.


I received the following email and the above photos from Mitch K.


I made an unusual find for this area during the storm last week. I hit
all 4 low tides during the storm. I did not hit the actual Treasure
beaches because i did not think the storm was going to be big enough to
uncover anything there. So hit the regular beaches in hope of finding
some Gold or Silver jewelry. Of course the issue there was all the new
sand that had been dumped on them.


On one of the early AM low tides, I dug a large coin down rather deep.
It was large and encrusted. I could see some copper color around the
edge. I though it was a worn modern Kennedy Half Dollar, It was and
about the right size. I dropped in my pouch and moved on.


Later after a slight cleaning I found it was not a Half Dollar but an
1845 US Large Cent. I have found many large cents up north but never one
here in Florida. This coin was dug in an area that has very old history.
For you historical types, there is even a rather new marker in the area.


I can only assume it washed up during the storm. Before the slight
cleaning It was encrusted with lots of tiny shells. Most of the coins I
found in that area that evening were. The attached pictures are the
final state at which I will keep the coin. It it is badly pitted. But
the contrast brings out the highlights for easy identification.


Mitch King
Vice President Treasure Coast Archeological Society
2019 Coin Hunter of the Year, Colchester England



Very cool and uncommon Treasure Coast find. Thanks for sharing Mitch.  Congrats!

Just goes to show one more time the variety of old stuff that is out there waiting to be found.

Isn't it nice that our long-time Treasure Coast expert detectorists are willing to share their finds and experiences!

---

After writing about taking time to tune you detector before detecting, I received the following email from JamminJack.


One subject I feel I know a lot about is adjusting my settings when detecting. I have met too many that told me they had been detecting for 20, 30, 40 years. I started when I was ten, thanks to my grandmother and Kip Wagner, and still earn something new or a different approach to detecting. 

One of the greatest tools is sharing  knowledge and using it to better oneself.

I understand many do not want to communicate or share their spots, but by now everyone knows every inch down there and where to look.

It has been 2 and half years since last time on Treasure Coast, but I still read your site and exchange research with many detectorists.

A lot of my friends did not care for that, but forgot if they never knew me they probably would not have found as much as before knowing me.

Conceited, maybe, but mostIy I took the time to learn where I was going  and took time to learn my machines.

Food for Thought

JamminJack 

Thanks Jack.

---


Yesterday I showed a huge and valuable fossil meg tooth that was found in South Carolina.  Of course not all shark teeth are so huge.  In fact many of them are small.  They come in a variety of sizes, shapes and colors.  No matter how small, they are still out there waiting for the keen eyed Treasure Coast beach searcher.  

Here are a few small ones.  See if you can name the type of shark.






Although you can find them almost anywhere along the Treasure Coast, one of the best spots for finding sharks teeth is just north of Seagrape trail by the bend where shells often pile up.

---

Not much going on in the tropics.

We'll have some more calms surf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net