Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2020

8/3/20 Report - Isaias Caused Erosion on South Hutchinson Island. Detectorists Out in Force Saturday.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of TBR2020.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Saturday Morning Around Noon.

As I posted earlier, this morning I didn't know if the South Hutchinson Island beaches were going to be open or even if the bridges would be open.  Bernie C., who has a YouTube channel, sent me a photo of a cut at John Brooks and I saw a lot of people at Fort Pierce South Jetty Park, so I thought things must be open.  I went out to check, and indeed, most of the beaches were open.  I saw one that was closed for some reason.

I also saw the cut shown in Bernie's email.  John Brooks had a cut running north and south for a long distance.  I would estimate it to be about five to six feet high.  To the south of Brooks, the cut was higher than to the north, but it decreased a lot about half way between Brooks and Douglass.

John Brooks Beach Around Noon Saturday.

There were a few detectorists there before I arrived, but when I was leaving a group of about eight detectorists just arrived.  It was still before low tide.

One fellow said he found a couple modern coins, but that is all.  I didn't find much at Brooks either.

I looked at another couple of beaches on South Hutchinson Island.  They weren't cut, and some had a lot of seaweed.  I then went to Frederick Douglass beach.  By that time is was near low tide.

Frederick Douglass Beach Saturday Near Low Tide.

Unfortunately, the photo above doesn't show the more interesting features that I saw at Douglass.  Sometimes a photo doesn't show everything you saw in person.

Near the low water line, and low on the slope, there was a nice thick shell layer slightly covered by sand, which held a good bit of jewelry.  A lot of it was junk, but there were a couple good pieces.  They weren't easy to detect, being in a shell layer and being pretty deep.  

Douglass Beach Saturday Near Low Tide.

There were other detectorists at Frederick Douglass beach too.

I got involved with jewelry hunting and didn't find anything old.  From what other people on South Hutchinson Island told me, not much old was found.

However, I'd be totally surprised if I don't hear of some old shipwreck stuff being found.  

I'll be interested to see what happens now that Isaias has passed and the wind has changed.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov


The unnamed system behind Isaias is expected to head north into the Atlantic instead of coming our way.

The parking lot at South Jetty park was full.  It seemed everybody wanted to get out.us 

One news person was down by the House of Refuge.  That area and Bathtub beach erodes more than most.

DJ sent me an instagram, I think it was, showing the rocks down there. 

How many four-syllable words have six letters or less.  I can't think of any right off?

---

I added a new link - Track Tropics.  It takes you to trackthetropics.com which provides a lot of storm information at one web site.  I think you'll find it useful.  Try it out.

Bob and Doug got back from the space station.  Amazing what people can do when they work together.  Great accomplishment.

Every time I hear those names, I can't help but think of minions.  And it seems everybody always uses only the first names.  I don't remember it being like that with past astronauts.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net