Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

3/3/21 Report - Cobs and the Hapsburg Shield. Heraldry. Tirol and Flanders. Lions and Eagles.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

A few days ago I posted a picture of the seal ring shown below and wondered about the seal.  I already posted some information I got about it, but yesterday I received more information, and that information started me on another journey.  Here is the picture of the seal ring.


At the top is an bird, perhaps a stylized eagle, and on the bottom two lions holding a crown.  I don't think you could find two symbols more commonly used in heraldry than the eagle and lions.  While I was writing this I got the distinct feeling that I had seen that eagle before, and not just on this ring, but I can't place it.  I'm thinking it has a Germanic look.  Maybe it will come to me later.

If you've looked at many cobs, you've probably noticed the lions.  You will see the lion rampant and stattant on the Hapsburg shield seen on some cobs minted in Mexico, for example.  The lion rampant represents Leon, and the lion stattant represents Brabant - two of the lands controlled by the king.

As is so often the case, when you begin researching a find, you'll be led down a long and winding path of interesting facts and subjects. In this case, I encountered some very interesting web sites on the subject of heraldry, which you might find useful for your own research.  The more you know about something, the more interesting it becomes.

Here is a link you might want to browse.


That link will take you to chapter 11, which is about lions in heraldry.  Here are some of the various forms and varieties you will see in that chapter.



Of course you will want to visit some of the other chapters, which will explore other symbols used in heraldry. 

Moving on to the eagle, another chapter presents this picture.


That bird image is the one that is most similar to the one on the ring.   The wings and legs are spread, with a flaring tail in between and a tongue sticking out.  

Laura Strolia sent me information suggesting that the two lions holding a crown refers to Netherlands.  Flanders and Netherlands are two lowland Dutch speaking countries.  On the Hapsburg shield, the lion representing Flanders is found next to the eagle of Tirol.   On the Hapsburg shield, though, the eagle is not of the same form.


I am not able to determine the age of the ring.  I was actually very surprised to find that it related so well to that one portion of the Hapsburg shield. 

While I have not come to any firm conclusion about the ring, the research led to a lot of interesting information.  I hope you will find it useful and informative too.

---

In response to yesterday's post mentioned the bronze age spearhead found on a beach, JamminJack sent the following comment.

A long time ago several spikes (he later clarified that he meant pike or spearhead rather than spike) were found near Corrigan. At first, they were considered to be very old and related to the wrecks. Later, someone who did a lot of work along that area, realized they were from an ornate gate that was on one of the steps leading to the beach.

---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

It looks like the previously predicted 5 - 8 foot surf predicted for the weekend is now more like 4 - 6 feet. Maybe it will change again. I'd like to see something a little bigger.

We are having some good negative tides now, and the wind is out of the west.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net