Search This Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2024

8/11/24 Report - Bottle With WW II Message and Artifacts Found After Debby. Codd Bottles and Other. New Weather To Watch.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Bottle with Message and Other Items Found After Debby.


Flament-Smith decided to take the initiative and begin cleaning up the trash. It was then that she came across the bottle.

"On my third bag as I was filling it up, I noticed a glass bottle and you could see the writing -- the note and scripture," Flament-Smith said. "I was like, 'Oh my goodness, I think I just found a message in a bottle.'"

Knowing it was not any ordinary litter, she kept it safe and brought it home to crack it open with her family...

Inside the bottle, Flament-Smith found all sorts of contents: a few shells, a bullet casing, a "mini cannonball," and sand; but, the biggest surprise was the note inside, she told WTSP...

Here is the link for more about that.

Woman finds WWII-era message in a bottle while cleaning up Debby debris (msn.com)

===

I received the following email from Joe D.

   So, we went a bit North of us today to pick up some items my wife bid on, and won in an online auction! She told me a few days ago that we would be riding up to Cocoa Beach to pic up the items! She likes old tennis and badminton racquets for decoration, etc.. and told me she also got a bunch of old bottles, an old school desk, and other odds and ends! I perked up at the mention of the old bottles, even though I only have a few good glass items around that I've found in the Indian River on a few occasions here, when conditions were right, and I could get out!

   Two boxes full, but after sorting, only about a third had much interest to me! One in particular that I've never seen before, caught my eye immediately! It may be somewhat rare for the US, but i saw a dozen or so online from England, under various brand names! But generally, it's  called a internal glass stopper "codd" bottle! Very unique design indeed! 

   Also got a few more modern soda bottles, etc with nice graphics, and a canning jar brand I'm not familiar with!

   Overall, I'll have fun identifying all the more generic one's, and figure out what we will do with them! I can see just with these, how storing them could become problematic, but probably won't be many left, once we go through them and sort out the ones we really like! I wish there were more nice colors to select from, but I'm sure they have already been picked through to some extent from the seller, etc!
   Keep up the great work on both the TB blog, and the Bottle Barn! Love reading, and searching both!


Below are pictures of the Codd bottle that was in the box of bottles.


I found a good post about Codd bottles.  Here is an excerpt.

Now, here’s the clever bit – codd-neck bottles were developed specifically for carbonated drinks. They worked by using a marble as a stopper in the neck of the bottle. It was the drink itself which kept the bottle shut. The pressure from the gas from the carbonation kept the marble in place. So that the marble didn’t smash and break the glass, there was a rubber washer/gasket fitted at the top. This made the marble fit softly but securely.

The bottles were filled upside down, then turned upright. The pressure from the gas in the bottle forced the marble against the washer, sealing in the carbonation...

And here is the link for more about that.

Curious Objects: The Globe Stopper or Codd Bottle - Kim's Curios (kimscurios.com)

I never found an in tact Codd bottle.  

Joe got some other interesting bottles as well as a number of other recent and common bottles.

---

Yesterday I asked about reader fossil finds.  John H. found this one recently on South Hutchinson Island.

Piece of Fossil Bone Found by John H.


Like many beach found fossils, this one is broken and worn smooth.  It doesn't have the ends which would help tell what bone it is or what animal it came from.

It is difficult to identify such bits and pieces.  In the first picture you can see that it is split.  

Like most Treasure Coast beach fossils, this one is black.  A smaller number are brown.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

This one is expected to turn north and stay east of us.  Time will tell.

Expect a few more days of smooth surf on the Treasure Coast.  No unusually big tides.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net

--