Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2021

1/11/21 Report - The Limping Lady of WWII. Naval History Center Resource. Evaluating Sources of Information.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report. 



Unveiled at a recent ceremony in Washington honoring Virginia Hall, this portrait will be added to the CIA's Fine Arts Collection. Painted by artist Jeff Bass, the painting shows her transmitting messages from occupied France using her suitcase radio. The painting was underwritten by a donation from attorney Robert Guggenhime.  courtesy of Jeff Bass)

Did you ever hear of the Limping Lady?  If you like history and have studied World War II, maybe you have.  Among the many fine articles on the Smithsonian Magazine web site is one about the Limping Lady of World War II French resistance.

During World War II, German agents infiltrated resistance groups. In response, resistance groups developed codes, complex communications networks, and security structures to protect members and information.

Fascinating story of heroism and history.

Here is the link for more about that.


Also see

French Underground During World War II, Communication and Codes | Encyclopedia.com


Lessons to be learned from history.   Open communication is important for a free society, but is one of the first things to go.


---


The Naval History and Heritage Command web site provides a lot of interesting and helpful information.    .


On that site you will find information on a number of wreck sites including that of the USS Alligator, the Boca Chica wreck site, the USS Alabama, and many more.

They are also seeking the return of artifacts removed from the USS Yorktown and any other properties owned by the Navy.

Here is an excerpt related to that.

As to other artifacts removed from the Yorktown site without the Navy's permission, as well as to those artifacts removed without permission from other sunken U.S. Naval vessels or aircraft, the U.S. Navy has a strong policy against paying money for the return of its own property. All such craft are now also subject to 2004's Sunken Military Craft Act, which affords protection to all sunken U.S. Navy ships and aircraft no matter the date or location of loss. The Navy will not abandon its claims to material taken from these sites, and at any time it may renew its efforts to obtain such property, even after the passage of many years. However, the Navy also attempts to commend appropriately those individuals and organizations (as above) who assist, sometimes at a loss to themselves, in the voluntary return of Navy property.

If you have any information concerning artifacts removed from the sloop Yorktown or from any other sunken U.S. Naval vessel or aircraft, please contact NHHC's Underwater Archaeology Branch by email at nhhcunderwaterarchaeology@navy.mil or by mail to 805 Kidder Breese St. SE, Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374. See also our Artifact Return Policy Page.


While I would encourage anyone to cooperate, I have a hard time with the idea that agencies or organizations that make no particular effort to recover "their" properties, should have so little regard or consideration for those who at their own expense and effort make significant discoveries.  It just seems to me that good acts should be rewarded or at least recognized to some small extent.  But that is just me.

The British Portable Antiquities Scheme offers a nice reward, which is one thing I like about it.

---

One day I arrived at a beach, got out of the car and was getting ready to detect, when a familiar face approached. It was a fellow I talked too several times before. He was a friendly fellow who openly shared, and I liked him.  

On this particular day, though, he told me something that made me suspicious. Out of the blue he told me he had been finding a lot of coins to the south. I got the distinct impression that he was trying to influence me.  Psychology is what I taught in a university back in the 1970s, and so I'm more than casually attuned to people.  

I'm not one to follow or take a lead from other people anyhow, but in this case I could tell he was trying to send me south.

Well, I did what I planned on doing when I started out. I got my gear ready, and promptly turned north.

A short time later, the friendly fellow and another fellow that evidently arrived to join him, showed up when they rounded the bend.   So they came north.  Of course they did.   They went directly to a specific spot without looking around or anything.  It was obviously where they planned to go from the beginning.

I later learned that the friendly fellow had found a good area to the north the day before, and was waiting for his friend to join him to work that area.  He evidently didn't want me to go there, so tried to send me the other direction.

You can't believe everything you hear. Everybody knows that.  Some sources are better than others, and some sources reveal a motive or agenda which can easily be detected if you are sensitive and alert.

I remember one fellow I met on a treasure beach, and when we were talking, I mentioned a fellow that was called The Florida Pro.  The fellow I was talking too, quickly claimed to be the Florida Pro.  In fact, the fellow I was talking about was metal detecting when the imposter was still in diapers. It was obvious that the imposter wanted to be seen as somebody big or important, and that helped me evaluate what he said.  Years later, my first impression of that fellow has been proven many times over.  He still promotes himself in every way he can.

Motives are important. What moves a person?  Words and actions can tell you that very quickly. 
 
You can tell when a person is driven by an overriding motive other than any interest in objective facts.  When that is the case, you have to realize that is what is driving them so will know how much weight to give to what they tell you.  They will be consistent and unwavering on one point.  You can predict what they will say.  When you identify the overriding motive, you know how to take what they tell you.  The same thing applies to groups as well as individuals.

That is a long and complicated subject that I'll have to address again some other time. 


Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net