Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2021

1/29/21 Report - North Winds and Some Beach Erosion Developing Along the Treasure Coast. Magnetic Coin Experiment: Part II.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Wabasso Around 12:30 Thursday.
Submitted by DJ.

I checked out a couple of beaches on South Hutchinson Island Thursday a little after noon.  DJ sent the photo of Wabasso above from about the same time.  You can see some scalloping there.


John Brooks Beach Just After Noon On Thursday.

There was about a one foot new cut running a good distance to the north.


Short Video Clip of 
John Brooks Beach Looking South
Thursday Afternoon.

At Frederick Douglass Beach the cut was closer to two foot.  Here is a little video clip of Frederick Douglass.


Frederick Douglass Beach Thursday Afternoon.

The wind was blowing pretty good from the north when I was there.  As you can see, the beaches were pretty deserted.  Only a few snow bird beach goers, and even they were hiding from the wind.

The cuts were unimpressive.  I did a quick check at John Brooks and Frederick Douglass.  Not much going on.  Just a few modern coins.

About six hours later Al C. sent in these photos of Frederick Douglass.

Frederick Douglass About 6:30 PM.
Photo by Al C.


So it looks like the water has been hitting the cut and making it bigger.


Frederick Douglass About 6:30 PM.
Photo by Al C.


Thanks Al.


---

I few days ago I reported on a little experiment I did using Canadian coins.   The coins included two dimes, three pennies, and three one-dollar loons (shown above).   The dates were 1975 and 1976 for the dimes.  The three one cent coins were 1983, 1983 and I couldn't tell the date on the third.  The three loons were 1990, 1989, and 1987.   The dimes and loons were very magnetic and the pennies were not.  I used the Minelab Equinox.  

Here are those coins again.

Canadian Coins Used in Experiment.


In the all-metals mode, the conductance numbers of the dimes came up pretty consistently around -7.  

The pennies consistently came up as 24 or 25. 

In a discrimination mode, the loons were produced very low numbers very much like the dimes except for the 1987, which often came up as a 14.  In the all -metals mode the loons consistently produced a -6.

In my original experiment I found that the 1987 loon seemed to give a conductance numbers than were considerable different from the conductance numbers give by the other two loons.  I went back and tried that again to see what was going on, and this time all three loons produced the same numbers.  So something in the original experiment created a false reading for the 1987 loon.  Maybe there was something else in the ground there.  It was not a difference in the metal content.  I also weighed the loons to see if there was any difference, and there was not.

I got much more consistent readings on the magnetic coins when I was in the all-metals mode.  The discriminate mode gave very inconsistent conductance numbers for the loons.  That is perhaps my most important conclusion from this little experiment.  The low conductance numbers produced by the magnetic coins when using the all-metals mode was expected, but I did not expect the conductance numbers for the large loons to be so inconsistent when using a discimination mode.

---


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


Looks like the surf will be 4 - 6 feet Friday, but the wind will be shifting.  The high tides aren't bad, but no huge.

From what I've been seeing, I'd expect a little more erosion, but not a bid improvement in beach conditions.  

I'll try to check it out tomorrow.

I'll post Friday's post early.  I already have it ready, and you might find it useful.

Here goes.

If you haven't seen the Thursday post yet, don't forget to take a look.

Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net