Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

1/2/21 Report - Some Treasure Coast Finds and A Report. Mystery Find Identified.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Rings Found By Mike T.


Recently I posted photos of the long three to four foot cut at John Brooks beach, but of course it is not the only beach that has lost sand.  During times such as those we've had recently, one spot will produce one day and then the next day another spot will produce.  I'm talking about modern finds mostly, but I always like to hunt spots that are producing coins that have been there a while.  Those kinds of spots might not produce items that are hundreds of years old, but they will produce some nice finds and you have a better chance of getting something old when you are digging a lot of seasoned coins than when you are digging shiny new coins.

Mike T. found the silver and gold rings shown above and gave the following report.

That steady wind from multiple angles the last few days really turned up the beaches here in Martin County. I hunt quite frequently on Stuart and Jensen Beach and while a lot of sand was moved in the last few days we still have not gotten back to the point we were at 5 or 6 weeks ago but we’re getting closer. I had the chance to get out yesterday and today for a little bit and found two specific areas that were producing well. It is always amazing to me how the ocean deposits things in certain consistent spots. Lots of green coins on the first day in a small spot and the silver ring popped up and today the same situation some sand had pushed back in and I was literally walking down the beach to hunt a different spot when I got a single target I then branched out from there and all of the stuff came out of the same small area including a nice little 14 karat gold ring. I worked that small spot for a good 25 minutes extracting a few more coins and leaving a few deep targets that I just couldn’t get out of the waves. When you find a single coin in a prospective area it’s good to just branch out in every direction almost in a man overboard pattern if you’re familiar with Boating. This technique has produced many quality finds for me over the years by being careful and consistent and going back over your tracks repeatedly!  Happy New Year!

Here is the type of thing Mike was digging.


Various Mike T. Finds.


There are two things in that photo that I like to see.  One is the corrosion on the coins, which indicates they have been out there for a while.  They have undoubtedly been sifted and sorted some by the surf.  And secondly, I like to see sinkers - especially those that, like the coins, show signs of having been out there a while.  Lead sinkers, being dense, don't tend to move around as much as coins, but they end up deeper as the sand moves from under and over it, very much like gold, another dense material, would move on a beach.  Denser objects will not move horizontally as much as less dense objects, but they will end up lower over time.  I don't like to use the word "sink" for describing how such objects move in sand, because it is actually mostly the sand that does most of the moving, and the dense objects simply lag behind and find the lower level as the sand vacates the area.  You could call it sinking, but to me that suggests a process caused by gravity alone, but with a coin or sinker on the beach, the object won't sink without some other force acting on the object or moving or agitating the sand.  On the beach that occurs primarily as a result of the water moving the sand around.

You will often find it beneficial to go back over your tracks, as Mike suggests.  Not long ago I talked about switching detectors and covering the same area again.  And I've also talked about how removing targets that produce the most obvious signals will make some of the deeper and smaller good targets easy to detect.  When there are large shallow targets they will mask good deep targets, so it is good to go back over good areas that have produced, and switching detectors might help after you've removed all you can find with the first detector.

Mike mentions a Man Overboard pattern.  You can look that up.  The key is returning to the initial point.  

One pattern I use a lot and described in my blog is what I called a Spiral pattern.  I'll often start out with a quick and loose zig-zag pattern, and after finding a target switching to a spiral-pattern and then sometimes to what I termed a Linked Spiral Pattern.

I described the Linked Spiral Pattern in my 3/3/16 report.  Below is the link.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 3/3/16 Report - Linked Spiral Search Pattern For Rough Shallow Water Conditions.

We are getting some beach wobble, as I described yesterday on John Brooks beach.

Thanks for sharing Mike.

---

Bill R's mystery object that I showed yesterday has been pretty well identified.  I heard from a few readers and they all came up with about the same answer.

Jason T. said, Hindu ceremonies and rituals conducted on the beach. Where they gather , pray , play music, and throw objects in the ocean. Flowers, money , statues, pictures etc. Cleansing ceremony

Had found this metal detecting in the water with green patina. A elephant statue with several arms Hindu god named Ganesha. Your reader may have found statue of half monkey half human god named Hanuman.

DJ came up with the same conclusion pointing out that the monkey was holding up a Himalayan mountain and mentioning the related religious items frequently found on the beach.

And Douglas sent a link referring to the Hindu Monkey God.

Thanks to all who helped identify that mystery find.

---

2020 was a year of fakes, so it gets an F from me.   Counterfeiting was taken to a new level.  The Chinese mastered it.  Knock-offs, copies and all types of fakes and counterfeits are all over the place.  Check twice before ordering anything like that off eBay.

But then there was the fake news, fake science, fake statistics, fake ballots, fake information technology, fake experts, fake investigations, trials and impeachments.  

The information technologies became influence technologies.  Influencing became more important than informing.  "Influencer" seems to be the desired title, but  I'd rather be an informer.  I don't care if you agree with what I say or not. I'm not selling anything. I put references and sources out there so you can check it out and decide for yourself.

I'm glad to say that the new site has done as well as the old site (treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com) with every post getting hundreds of views, but the old site, a repository of older posts, still gets hundreds of views daily as well.

Thanks to the readers for all of their contributions.  Your input is valued.

---

It looks like after today the surf will be getting small again for at least a few days.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net