Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2021

1/17/21 Report - Another Kind of Find: Dolls, Figures and Parts. A Personal Touch To Treasure. A Mystery Find. Small Surf Continues.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Antique Dolls, Figures and Parts.

As I always say, there is always someplace to hunt and something to find.  That is certainly true along the Treasure Coast.

Besides the metal items, there are a lot of other types of things to find.  Some of the oldest, being as much as millions of years old are fossils.  I've shown plenty of those in the past.  Then there are the Native American artifacts, Spanish shipwreck treasure, artifacts from the pioneer days, modern items and even occasionally a piece of the space program.

Above are a few common antique and vintage from daily life along the Treasure Coast.   I enjoy these types of finds because they illustrate something of the lives of the people who lived on the Treasure Coast in the past.

I can easily see a kid like the one shown below playing with the few toys he had.


He puts a smile on my face every time I look at that photo.

Finds like those shown at the top of this page give me a more sentimental or personal reaction than a Spanish treasure coin.  I relate to them in a more personal way than I relate to fossils, arrowheads or even most coins.

The doll in the upper left of the photo is exactly like one my mother had as a child.  That would have been in the 1920s.

Surprisingly finds like that can also have some commercial value.    The painted porcelain German doll leg in the bottom left would bring a few dollars.  I've sold a few of those before, and they sold quickly.

There was a time when I was more interested in the economic value of finds.  When I got started in metal detecting I was fascinated to know that you could go out and literally pick up some good money just wandering around on the beach.   I even once took a few months between jobs to see if I could make a living at metal detecting if I wanted to.  I found that I could if I needed to or wanted to, but I enjoyed it more as a hobby.   I had some interesting jobs that took me to different places around the country anyhow.  That was nice because I could take my metal detector along when I traveled to Minneapolis or Pensacola or wherever I was going.

Now metal detecting for me is mostly about uncovering interesting things and the research and stories that goes with it.

---

This dime sized find has been sitting around for a while and I finally decided to try to figure out what it is.

Round Flat Unidentified Metal Object.

It is not magnetic at all, but it is metal.  It might have layers and an edge.  It looks like it has been bent like a much softer metal would bend.

There is either a small bit of iron adhering to it or part of it.  That bit of iron/rust could possibly be the remains of a button shank.

I'll do some more cleaning and studying.

---

In my Jan. 7 post (my first post immediately after the storming of Capitol Hill) I said it looked like there were Antifa/BLM members in the mob.  It turns out I was right about that.  One was John Sullivan, a member of Insurgence, USA,  who wore a Trump hat, and entered the building and was arrested.  He has been on both Fox and CNN.  Sullivan, by the way, was wearing a Trump hat.  In a post I mentioned that it looked like left-wingers were in the mob wearing MAGA gear, and Sullivan was.  I saw another person from the same Insurgence, USA group interviewed on TV right after the event, but I haven't seen anything on him again.  

One Trump supporter said he was on one side of the building where there were only peaceful protests, but when he went around to the front of the building, he saw two black-clad instigators with bull horns telling people to break windows.  If you watched the Lara Logan documentary, you saw that left-wing trouble makers are trained to use innocent mobs as shields while they incite and conduct violent acts that are blamed on the protesters.  You will also find that tactic described in their books and online, including both Twitter and Facebook, which seems to gladly host those who commit violence.  

We are in the age of Truth Inversion. It is often called projection, but it is not projection as defined in a psychological sense.  When used as a defense mechanism, projection is done unconsciously rather than intentionally and strategically.  Further, I suspect collusion by government officials to create the event and story line to promote their agenda.  It was too easy for the mob, and some photos show doors being opened for them to enter.  You could see many of them walking between the rope lines and taking pictures like awe-inspired tourists.

---

We have a west wind and a small surf today.

The river is very clear - like looking through glass.

The surf will remain small for several days.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net