Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2021

1/8/21 Report - Safe Full of Treasure Found in Backyard. Treasure and Theft. Covid Cases Increase on Treasure Coast.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report. 


Safe Found in Backyard When Brush Was Removed.


A New York couple discovered a safe in their backyard when brush was removed.  The safe and contents that were taken from a neigbor's house during a robbery were returned to the owner.

Here is the link to see what was inside.

New York couple finds buried treasure in backyard - YouTube

---


Besides finding, researching, cleaning and conserving finds, it is also necessary to store keep them safely. Many times in the past I advised keeping valuable items in a bank lockbox rather than keeping them at home.

I knew a fellow that found many reales from the Jupiter wreck by detecting the beach long before the  wreck was discovered by a lifeguard while on his morning swim.  The detectorist had a jar full of reales stolen from the trunk of his car.

When I lived South Florida, car break-ins were very common.  The parking lot just north of the Fountainebleau was terrible.  I remember one day on a weekend afternoon, car alarms were going off all over the parking lot.  It was plain daylight with many people around and the thieves were operating with little concern.  On another occasion I noticed a lookout on the walkover watching people going to the beach while another person would break into a car.  Most often a screw driver was used to break the lock, and sometimes a window was broken.  Again in plain daylight.  On one day there was a group setting off fireworks in the parking lot to make commotion that distracted from other members of the group breaking into cars. The police never did anything about it except take reports.  I began to park way north at another parking lot by a fire station and walk all the way down to 46th street even though it was a long walk.  So, as the signs say, don't leave valuables in your car.  It happens occasionally on the Treasure Coast too.

One reader of this blog was visiting Florida from Arizona when his house was robbed.  He wanted me to warn you, and it is a good time to remind you, especially with all the anti-police politicians getting into power and all the lawlessness going on.

Here is some of what he had to say.  '

Thanks again for all of the good information that you put out. Right now I'm back in Vegas because they broke into my home! They got into my safe and stole everything in the safe. They also got two titles to my cars and stole one of the cars. Then they turned around and sold it because they had the title to it!

Because I did have a tracker in the car it was recovered! The whole thing has been a nightmare because of the time of year that it happened in.

So please do everyone a big favor and tell them not to put their safe in the master bedroom closet, and do not put your registration in your glove box, put it in the trunk of the car!

They have been breaking into homes here in the Vegas area with people in them during the day!

I hope to be back in Fla by the end of next week if I can get the car back in my name! We all have a lot of valuable stuff that we don't even think of...

I will not be recovering any of the money, jewelry, or my gun because all of my documentation was in the safe!

That all took place in the first part of December and I'm still working on the damage to the house!

Thanks again for what you do for all of us!


I'm sorry to hear about your situation Rick, and thanks for warning others.  People usually feel pretty secure with the locks or whatever security measures they've taken, but don't let your guard down.  We've seen a lot of lawlessness this year and many of our public officials seem to have little to no regard for public safety.  Watch out for yourself and take security measures.  Don't expect to be protected by your government.  Of course, some areas are better than others. 

My advice has long been to keep valuables in a bank lockbox.  I've recommended that several times in the past.  I also recommend motion activated security cameras that will catch any suspicious activity around your house.  I've told this before, but I have motion activated cameras around my house and they come in handy in a variety of ways.  

Once I had a metal detector mailed to my house.  I got a notice that it had been delivered, but I didn't see it anywhere.  I called the post office, and they told me the mailperson remembered putting it on the porch.  So I looked at my security camera, which clearly showed the mailperson putting the box behind one of the chairs where I didn't see it.  I then went out and found the box exactly where the camera showed it being placed.   I really like the motion activated security cameras.  As I said, they can be very useful.

I suppose that no security measure is 100% effective - not even a safe, as we've seen today, but you can take measures to make it more likely that the thieves will look for an easier target.

In Miami, the best thing was to drive an old beat-up junker, leave the doors open and don't leave anything worth taking inside. 

I don't particularly like to write about topics like this, but it might help someone.  

Take precautions.  I don't expect things to get any better real soon.

---

Another thing I'd rather not be writing about is the Covid situation.  You should know that there has been a big increase in the number of Covid cases on the Treasure Coast.  The following chart shows new highs in the number of cases in St. Lucie County, for example.  


Here is the link for the Florida Covid dashboard.

St. Lucie County Covid-19 Dashboard (arcgis.com)

---

Be safe,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net