Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2021

5/1/21 Report - More Recent Treasure Coast Finds. Modern Jewelry and Old Bottles.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


10K and Diamond Ring
Found by Chris N.

Chris N. has been working Daytona.  He found the above diamond ring by the water's edge.  Here are some other finds from Daytona, which he said were not worth much but were fun to find.  He mentioned that with the warm weather people are getting in the water more.

More Finds by Chris N.


---

The seasons change and so do the hunting conditions.  In the winter people were working the eroded Treasure Coast beaches for old shipwreck items.  Now we are seeing different kinds of finds.  People are going to the beach and losing modern items, such as the ring found by Chris N.  I've been doing some bottle hunting.  Old bottles have been showing up lately, and I decided to take advantage of that while it is happening.  It can all disappear very quickly.

The cleared inland site I've been working will wait.  Since I've been finding older bottles, I haven't been on the railroad site lately.

A recent stop at a local Treasure Coast beach did yield this little 10K ring.


10K Beach Find.

Just yesterday I took a quick walk and picked up this nice little bottle.


Small Luyties Pharmacy Bottle.


The Luyties Pharmacy bottle is just 2.5 inches tall, with a .75 by .75 inch square base.  Unlike most of my bottle finds, it was almost totally exposed.

Here is what I found on Luyties.

His earliest knowledge of and training in business came to him through the Luyties Homeopathic Pharmacy Company, a business which was established in 1853 by his father, Dr. Luyties having been one of the earliest representatives of the school of homeopathy in the middle west, and in connection with his practice he established a pharmacy in order to supply homeopathic remedies to the trade.

Thoroughly acquainting himself with the business, Herman C. G. Luyties won promotion until he became vice president of the company and so continued until 1907, when he disposed of his interests...

I always like embossed pharmacy bottles.  The name of the pharmacy and city is always helpful.

Since I had such luck in the morning, I checked again in the evening.  Some older bottles and bottle parts were found again.

Brown Bottle 6.5 Inches Tall.

While the little pharmacy bottle was completely exposed, the larger brown bottle shown above was completley buried.

One person asked me about how to find bottles, and here is a good example.  This larger brown bottle was not visible at all when I found it.   I saw a milk glass jar that I was going to remove it, and when I  reached out with a rake to move the milk glass jar, I heard the distinct sound of the rake moving over a larger piece of flat glass.  That was the brown bottle.

People often use probes to find buried bottles.  They stick the probe in and listen for the sound of glass.  I don't use a probe.  I don't want to take a chance on breaking a bottle and most of my finds are sight finds, even though most of the time my bottle finds are at least partly buried.  

Only a small part of the lip of the stoneware ink bottle that I showed the other day was sticking out.  I stopped to see what it was and dug it out.  I did not see this brown bottle at all.  I heard it first, and then dug it out.

It isn't anything valuable, but provides a good example of one way buried bottles can be found.

Yesterday I mentioned finding some old broken bottles.  Old bottle parts can tell you that you are in a good area.

Here is a piece of an old Hutchinson soda bottle I found last evening.


Broken Top of Old Hutchinson Soda Bottle.


Of course the bottle parts aren't worth anything, but they can provide good information on the area.

The following illustration shows the stopper that was used for Hutch bottles.



That illustration comes from a great web site I just found. Check out HutchBook.com


I'm going to start adding to TGBottleBarn.blogspot.com again.

---

The tides are still decent and are stirring the front beaches a little, but the surf is small.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net