Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2021

5/29/21 Report - Small Denomination Dug Spanish Colonial Reales. Real Florida History. Coca Cola Bottles.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

One Half-Reale and Two Cuartillos.
Finds and photo by Frank B.

I received these photos and the message below from Frank B.

Hi there, TreasureGuide,

I continue to really enjoy your blog. Just wanted to comment on your 5/25/21 blog entry about the values of cobs. I lived in Panama and Colombia for a few years and was fortunate to find about 50 silver cobs. But the strange thing (at least I found it strange at the time) was that the majority of cobs I found were 1/4 reals (called "cuartillos"). They were so tiny and unassuming that I figured they weren't much sought after so I was always searching for the 4 and 8 reals that you find in shipwrecks.

However, I quickly learned that some of these cuartillos, especially ones minted in Colombia, can be worth a pretty penny to some collectors, because of their rarity. I've attached a couple of photos. One shows 3 cobs (2 cuartillos and a 1/2 real) I pulled from the same field one day that were all within a square foot of each other. The other is a photo of one of the cuartillos from the first photo after running some distilled water over it to knock off the dirt.  

Thanks again for publishing your blog. I learn something new every time I read it.

Frank


Super Nice Cleaned Cuartillo.
Photo by Frank B.

Super finds Frank!  Looks like those made during reigns of Phillip II, III, and IV.  

Thanks for sharing.

----

Yesterday I posted a photo of an Avon Park Coca Cola Bottling Works bottle that I just found.   The Avon Park plant began in 1914.  The bottle was from a later date than that.  The hobble-skirt iconic bottle style that we associate with Coca Cola was invented in 1915.  Before that Coca Cola was sold in straight-side bottles and the Hutchinson style bottles.  I've found straight-side Coca Cola bottles, and I've found Hutchinson bottles, but no Coca Cola Hutch style bottles - yet.

Anyhow I did a little research and found a picture of the Avon Park Coca Cola bottling plant.


Avon Park Coca Cola Bottling Works.
Source: 
In the scenic highlands Florida's skyline Avon Park (ufl.edu)

Being such a small town, I wonder how rare bottles from the Avon Park plant might be.  I'll have to check that out.

---


Yesterday I showed a 1000-year-old Native American canoe that was diplayed in the Lake Wales History Museum.  I then received the following message and photo from Alberto S.


After reading today's post I went looking for the Lake Wales History Museum to find out more information about the place and I think it will be a future field trip for a visit. You  have been writing about your RR spikes finds at the inland site and when I was looking at images of the Lake Wales museum, one image was of a collection of RR spikes donated to the museum, I grabbed a screenshot and they are attached to this email. 

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.


Here is a display of railroad spikes labeled by railroad that you can find at the Lake Wales museum.


Display in Lake Wales History Museum.

The museum is free to the public for self-guided tours.


Look it up.  Looks like it would make a nice day trip.  Check hours of operation before going.

---


On the Treasure Coast the surf is still in the two foot range.  The tides are decreasing but still good.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net