Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

5/5/21 Report - Beach Reports and Some New And Old Finds.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Turtle Trail Tuesday
Looking North From Around Second Flag Pole.
Photo by JamminJack.


JamminJack sent me this report from Tuesday, 05/04/2021. He mentioned that he saw no detectorists other than Terry and himself, and neither of them got any hits.


South of Turtle Trail Down Towards John's Island.
Photo by JamminJack.

He also said Wabasso Beach was open and the parking lot was full.

He added the following.

"There was a sign at Treasure Shore today saying "Access to this beach temporarily closed. Renourishment in progress."

I saw this same sign at some other spots, but Golden Sand looked open, but be cautious. They open gates for their crew so be sure before parking."


----

Collection of Various Sizes of Lead Balls.
Photo by Dan B.


The above photo and following message came from Dan. B.

During the two years of salvage we came across quite a few musket balls. At one point we were pulling hundreds a day. I made a point of trying to get as many different sizes as I could. I have a little display at the house and I put all of them together. I know some are from the 1618 green cabin wreck. I can't remember if they are more black or more dusty white but the difference was clear when we would come across the older ones. I believe the largest one is a grapeshot and the smaller ones are pistol shot but I don't know too much about them except the .69 caliber size.

Sometimes when I'm not finding treasure for a while I like to revisit some old finds to keep the hunt alive. I found some of the musket balls to be badly deteriorated. Something to keep an eye on and prevent. I think just keeping them away from moisture is big.

They would stick almost anything in a cannon or gun barrel. Sometimes multiple sizes along with nails or whatever.

Some very nice shards in there as well.

Here is a link to an interesting web site about the variety of things that could be fired from a cannon.



---

I've been continuing to hunt the site that has been giving up tons of railroad items.   I showed many of those in the past.  Most recently I found a pile of these.


Rail Anchors(?)

I found a buried pile of these.  I think they could be a different type of rail anchor.

I also found some smaller stuff.  Here are a couple of those.




Looks like the top from a broken or removed bolt, and maybe a piece from the middle barrel of an old Coca Cola Soda Water bottle.  You can tell that the bottle is fairly old from the thickness of the glass.  I'm better able to estimate the age of the glass than most of the railroad hardware I've found.  I've seen a lot of bottles from around this area over the years.

I might end up doing some sifting on some areas.

---


We're supposed to have an gentle offshore breeze and a very small surf today.  Maybe a good day to do a little snorkeling.

I'm going to see if I can get my wife to help me make a video on a new technique I've been using.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net