Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2021

5/30/21 Report - Spanish Colonial Coins and Artifact Finds From One Reader. Step Searching and Interpreting Finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Select Spanish Colonial Metal Detector Finds.
Finds and photo by Frank B.

Yesterday I posted some small denomination coins found by Frank.   Above and below are shown some more of his finds.  Here is what he said.

The cobs were found at the site of an old Native American village in Colombia that was abandoned in the late 1800s.  When the Spanish arrived, they constructed a church in this village (ruins are still there), converted all of the Natives, and the priests were the only Spanish who lived there besides the natives.  Out of the dozens of cobs found at the site between myself and friends the highest denomination was 1 real, so yes, I think these were the "loose change" of the time used to make simple purchases, tribute to the Church, etc. The dates of the cobs and milled coins (that could be identified) ranged from the early 1600s to the late 1800s. Attached are some photos of the other cobs I found at the site one day (also with some milled coins and other artifacts). It was an exciting field to detect and we were lucky to get permission to search it over the course of about a month.


More Spanish Colonial Coins Found by Frank B.
Photo by Frank B.

Thanks for sharing Frank.  Great finds!

---

One summer, actually two summers, I was teaching the majority of a graduate computer education program to a visiting class of educators from Columbia. Later I was invited to be the keynote speaker at a computer conference in Columbia, but I didn't go because there was a travel advisory due to the drug wars. I wish I had been able to go. One summer I had a class of educators from Norway as well as the Columbian students. That was a good summer, and one of my most enjoyable professional experiences.

---

Speaking of smalls, some of the areas of my Indian River Ridge site have been pretty well cleaned up, and I am starting to get down to the smaller items in some of those areas.  Other areas still need a lot of cleaning.

Last night I went out for a little while before dusk, and one small area less than two square feet first produced these items.


Two New Dug Items.


And when they were removed, some small signals remained, and I removed some eyelets, speed hooks and rivets that appear to be what remains of a boot or shoe.


Eyelets, Speed Hooks and Rivets.


There is some of the boot, or whatever, material remaining on the hooks.  That material can be an important clue in the future.  

Interpretation of finds can be a part of reading a site.  Gather information from finds as well as other research.  Don't get carried away by first impressions, hopes or invalid information.  As they say, let the data speak.  A scientific attitude can prove very helpful.  That is one of the big things that is lacking on some of the TV shows.   

When you are digging a small area that has a lot of targets, you'll generally get the bigger ones out of the way first, and then be able to pick out the smaller ones.  That is true whether you are working a good coin hole on a beach or some inland site.  I call a search involving those steps or stages a progressive step search. When you really strain to get the smallest and deepest targets, you might want to switch metal detectors and/or detector settings.  When you do those things you'll often find more after you thought the spot was cleaned out.  

I'm not metal detecting that site because I expect to find the queen's jewels or the ark of the covenant or because there is some rumor or legend but because I thought it might be representative of any old site that doesn't look remarkable or promising at first glance.  I never guessed that so many hundreds of items were buried on the site.

When I started working this site, I had no idea that I'd find close hundreds of pieces of railroad related items.  So far I've dug a few hundred railroad spikes alone, not to mention the bolts, nuts, barrel hoops and so many other things, and a whole lot of junk, and a few scattered items having nothing to do with the railroad.

You will never know until you look.

---

Nothing in the weather of interest.  Small surf, moderating tides, and no tropical activity in the Atlantic.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net