Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

5/ 26/21 Report - 400-Year-Old Sunken Warships. A Little More Inland Detecting. Metal Detecting Side Benefit.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Three Spike Sizes from One Metal Detecting Site.
Approx. lengths: 6.75, 5.5, and 2.75 inches.

-----


400-year-old sunken warships aren’t the sisters of doomed Vasa after all.

Wood analysis shows the wrecks discovered in 2019 are the warships Apollo and Maria.

Here is the link for more about that.

400-year-old sunken warships aren’t the sisters of doomed Vasa after all | Ars Technica


---

After having to deal with other things the last four or five days, I got to spend a little time metal detecting on my Indian River Ridge site, and using the Equinox again I found some more spikes, two of the middle sized ones and some other hardware.   The Equinox signal is not as loud as the Ace's on iron objects like that, but you have the conductivity numbers, which can be helpful.

At the top of this post are shown the three different size of spikes I have found on the site.  I've found hundreds of the larger ones and just a few of the middle and small ones.  I wonder if the middle sized ones came from when earlier and lighter track rails were used.  I have no idea what the small ones were used for.

I'm glad I have some place close by where I can detect anytime I get a few minutes.  It is very peaceful, and it has been interesting.  I never expected to find tons of items there.  And I keep learning more about my detectors.  The more you use them, the better you will understand them.  

The Equinox functions well, even with the electrical interference from power lines and whatever else.  In factory preset mode I hear a lot of noise, but it cuts right through the noise when there are good targets.  I'll explore using different frequencies some time and report on that.  I can't believe how some people write detector reports after just a few hours of detecting time.  There is no way you can actually know a lot about a detector in a short time like that.  And you will learn a lot by using a detector in different environments and in different modes or settings.   I always recommend doing different types of hunting because you'll learn things that you'll be able to apply to other situations.

Joe D. said, ... I'm getting some great information from your discoveries, and comparisons to beach detecting! Not a lot of relic hunting here in South Florida...

And concerning the mystery item I posted yesterday, here is what Joe D. said.

 Your rusty plate looks like some type of plate joiner, or rail joiner! Since the lugs don't appear threaded, I guess that after joining, the were heated, and hammered or pressed into permanent rivets with a special rivet head tool for a uniform hold! That's my theory anyhow!

Thanks Joe.

---

I mentioned the butterfly roost I ran into while metal detecting.   Those were Zebra Longwing butterflies y- Florida's state butterfly.  I had another nature siting while metal detecting.

I found Monarch butterfly caterpillars munching on Tropical Milkweed.  Since they weren't going anywhere fast, I was able to go back and get my microscope camera.

Monarch Butterfly Caterpillar
Munching on Tropical Milkweed.

Here is a video of a little tussle.



I thought that was pretty neat.

Then I found this.  You have to see it.



Amazing!

---

I was watching the search pattern of a butterfly, and their pattern is a repetitive cycle to a certain extent, but there is considerable variation around the main cycle.  Not too different from the way a many detectorist search.

You might be surprised by how much you fall into a specific path without thinking about it.  Notice, for example, how often your return trip will be right on top of your first path without thinking about it.  

---

While varying off the beaten path, do you know how the inventor of the squeeze tube, as used for toothpaste, got the idea.  He noticed the working of the anal sphincter of a horse in operation.   Didn't mean to spoil your tooth care routine.

The creative engineering process often comes is often inspired by nature.

---

There is no tropical cyclone activity in the Atlantic now, but it won't be long.

The high tides are big now, as are the low tides.  Unfortunately the surf is only a couple of feet.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net