Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 4, 2021

5/4/21 Report - The Art of the Artifact. A Relic Hunt and A Couple Beach Hunt Reports.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Inspired by the rusted surfaces of the heavy artifacts I've been finding, I woke up thinking about making a piece of artwork. The rusted handle of the wrench reminded me of a man's arm - the type of man that worked the rails with toughened leather skin covered in sweat and sand.  Wirey muscles and callused hands fused to iron tools.  Heads bowed under the sun finding brief relief in a cool sip of water from a tin cup.  Thinking about how I could portray that in art, I went to the computer this morning and found the following from Gaylen C.  

Here is what Gaylen said.

What a coincidence! I read your post about Binney after having just returned from detecting across Indrio Rd from his home. The power company leveled an incredibly wide area across the street in order to install some power poles. Can't imagine why they cut such a wide swath. They cut off trees that must have been decades old, knocked down old power or telephone poles long abandoned and hidden in the woods. They cleared a strip from the shopping center to Taylor Dairy Rd.  I finally got tired of just wondering about it and hit a small section directly across from the house. If you were collecting scrap metal this place would be ideal. Copper everywhere. Cables buried under the debris. The machine they used had a tremendous drum with hundreds of metal teeth and it turned everything into giant mulch. I found nothing of value and little of great interest other than what must have been a fairly old power pole with hardware and some lines attached just knocked over. I kept an eye out for glass insulators, but saw none. I only spent an hour there. I considered who the residents were and what activity must have taken place that i might run across a dump, trash pile, parking area, who knows. I've attached a few photos. The iron rod was slightly interesting just because of how long it must have been there to be so deteriorated.


Gaylen


Gaylen's photos seemed very much in the same spirit as my thoughts.  Below are the photos he sent.
The Art of the Artifact.




 

 

















Thanks Gaylen.


I realized that what I liked about the rusty iron artifacts I've been finding is not so much what I see with my eyes, but the images and pictures they bring to mind.  The story and people behind the artifacts is what makes them meaningful and interesting. 

-----

Here are a couple reports of recent hunts by JamminJack.


Finally got a place in Sebastian. Like St. Augustine motel offices were either closed or full. Very Lucky.  Plan to be in area through Mother's Day.


Report: May , 2, 2021

Took Tesoro Sand Shark out for first run. I went to Turtle Trail and went to 3rd pole. Found a broken cement block with rebar and very tiny screw. Will use my CZ21 rest time here. (I may not send any images this time unless drastic change.)

Ton of seaweed, but lower area near ocean was surprisingly packed. Little bump up to dryer sand towards dunes. The surprising thing today was the huge cut along duneline heading south to John's Island. Some of the exposed palmetto roots were  over my head! May be time to work those areas around the roots. They pumped in a lot of sand over the years, but I saw some very old dirt today!!

---

Monday, May 3, 2021

Got up early to catch morning low tide before it got too hot. Fortunately, from past experience, I checked my new Fisher CZ21 before hitting the beach. Never seen anything like this before...machine would make a telephone noise and hardly pick up any of the test objects. Extremely upset, but at least I had the Sand Shark.

Arrived at SeaGrape little after 8am. No detectors, and few people walking. Headed towards north towards Wabasso Beach. Picked up few pieces of wire, tabs, aluminum, shuttle debris, nails, washer,  and cotter pin. No coins or anything of value. 

Ton of seaweed, but lower section was detectable and similar to Turtle Trail with packed sand and shell beds. A lot of dirt. Detected for couple of hours. Got hot very fast and bugs were out.

Stopped by Wabasso Beach to get some lunch. The parking lot was still closed, but they said possibly open tomorrow.

Jammin Jack


Thanks Jack.  There are some interesting clues in there.  

---

Glass Bottle Stopper Find.


I'm  always glad to find a glass stopper.  I have a lot of bottles that don't have their stoppers., so as usual, I was glad to find this one.

I only did a quick walk yesterday, and the tide was already high and the visibility was poor.  To find this stopper, I used a technique that I'll have to describe in the future.  Maybe I'll be able to make a video.

---

The finds are small as is the surf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net