Search This Blog

Saturday, May 8, 2021

5/8/21 Report - Beach Conditions. More Inland Detecting Finds. How Much Do You Miss With A Metal Detector?

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Ambersands Friday.

JamminJack has been hitting the Treasure Coast beaches and sending in reports.  Here is what he saw Friday.

Ambersands Friday.

Here is Jack's report.

Friday 8:00am, May 7, 2021

Figured out what was making my CZ21 go screwy. The battery clip to the battery housing was touching the connectors to the wire. Flipped it over and no problems. 

Nice cool wind to detect this morning. Not much change in beach other then more leveled out. I say about a 30 degree incline from dunes to water edge. Surf a little more at an angle today. Tide still going out, but was plenty of SAND TO DETECT! 

Saw 2 detectors out today. One was Warren and had a nice conversation. 

I will use my Tesoro Sand Shark remaining few days here. Pulse Inductions are better when there is a TON OF SAND!!

Jammin Jack

Treasure Shores Friday.

Jack then went to Golden Sands and added the following.

Went to Golden Sand and now it is closed, again! I checked Treasure Shore and was open. 100s of bathers. Cooler wind, but probably better detecting after a couple of days bathers.

Treasure Shores Friday.

Thanks for those photos and reports Jack.

----

I went out to see if I could find any old bottles Friday.  I had no luck at that.  The wind had changed direction.

I decided to hit the Indian River Ridge site again.  I know there is tons more buried there, and I'm still clearing out a lot of the large stuff.  I never imagined there was so much buried there.

Yesterday I found some different kinds of items on the recently cleared private property I've been searching.   New things are always popping up.  And this is all from a small area less than 1/3 acre.  And I've barely scratched the surface at this point.


Red Lens.

I found this red signal(?) lens while digging a detector signal.  I'm going to see if I can find the other piece.  I thought that was an interesting change.

Right after that I found the next item, which at first I thought went with the lens because of the similar size and shape.


Bottom of Ceramic Container.

The inside had a brown glaze.  The outside looks unglazed.  I think it was probably meant to contain a liquid or food stuff.  Maybe I'll find more shards.


Unglazed Bottom of Ceramic Container.

I was thinking what areas I might want to sift when I get the surface stuff removed.  This area has now become a likely area for sifting.

I dug a lot of heavy wire in this area.  Some of it was like the wire that was around the wood kegs, some was heavier and made of a different material.

On to the metal finds now.

I found this handle before the above items.

Found Handle.

I then found this item.  I think it is a latch.  

Latch(?)

Along with these items.


Smaller Finds.

I've found a few of the item shown on the left.  It has a small bar with four sharp gear wheels on it.  I don't have any idea what it is.

The area all of these came from had really a lot of wire and a few more barrel hoops.  I think I've found the metal remains of probably 10 or fifteen wooden kegs or barrels so far.

This lot continues to amaze me, and I'm not even down to the smaller items yet.  I'm guessing that the older coins (if there are any) will be down a foot or more.   I've only found a couple of modern pennies so far, and they were not close to the railroad items.

It will take a while to completely detect this area, and then I think I'll probably start sifting some of it. 

Below I am reprinting part of a 2018 post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

On 3/26 I posted a report by someone who detected a city lot several times, recorded all finds, and then sifted the entire lot to find out what if anything he had missed.  The results were amazing, both in the total number of coins found on that small lot, but also the number of old coins found, and what everybody should take notice of is the low number of old coins found as the result of multiple thorough metal detecting sessions despite the large number that was in that ground.  Most people would have detected the site a few times and maybe thought they had found most of the good coins that were there and thought it was time to give up and move on not realizing how many more old coins were waiting for them there.

If you have not read the 3/26 post and the total report of that experiment, I highly recommend that you do that.  If you don't you'll be missing out on proof of what is often said and speculated about in the metal detecting community.

The person who sifted that entire lot offered the following important comments and observations concerning that experiment.


No one was more shocked by the results than me.  I suspected there was more in the ground, but had no idea of the actual amount.  When I started, I did not intend to do [sift] the entire lot, just the areas I thought would be most productive.   However,  I just kept finding more, then decided to finish the job.  

I have a few other comments.  I can't be sure, of course, but I strongly suspect that this lot was never hunted prior to the houses being demolished.  It has nothing to do with the number of finds, but much of the lot was covered in a concrete pad and for many years during the detecting era it was a dangerous area.  This would make the conclusions more valid.

A point I don't think I emphasized enough is the difficulty detecting from the surface.  The first detectorist found 8 silver coins over 2-3 hunts.  I knew there were likely some more silver dimes because he found 3 silver quarters, a silver dollar, and only four dimes.  That is a strange distribution.  I actually briefly hunted the lot before they cleared the house piles and found a couple of clad coins only.  It is just mind-boggling to me, in hindsight, that I found no old coins on my first hunt on a lot with more than 225 in the ground!  When I went back, I found a silver half and silver dime and some wheats, some of which were on the surface.  The second time I found two silver dimes.  Over many hunts before I tried sifting I never found more than 2 silver coins with the detector.  I worked that lot thoroughly and repeatedly with multiple detectors because I strongly suspected there was more there.  I remember being frustrated about it.  So even though 30% of the silver coins were found using a detector, that was after an unusual amount of detecting, including moving at a snail's pace with a small coil and my Safari from different directions.   I feel confident saying that a more common scenario would be for the lot to be detected significantly less before being abandoned in search of greener pastures.  My point is that my detected finds likely overrepresent the percentage of finds that will be found using a detector on a site with heavy trash.

Overall, it was eye-opening for me.  The results were exciting...and daunting.  I now know there are a lot of great finds still to be made, even in well hunted areas, but it might not be easy.

--------------------------------------------

Here is that link.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 3/30/18 Report - More On The Sifting Compared To Detecting Experiment. Intact Section of 18th Century Wreck Washes Up On Beach. Good Friday!

You will find more about sifting and how much is missed by metal detecting alone in the old Treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

---

The Sedwick auction continues today.

The surf will be only one to two feet today.

Happy hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net