Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2022

6/23/22 Report - Change and Success.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Did you ever wonder why some people are so much more successful than others?  You probably didn't wonder much about it.  Maybe you came up with some quick and easy answers.  Some people are lucky.  Some people are blessed with more talent and ability.  Some people have all the advantages.  Some people are rich or have the help of powerful people.  Life just isn't fair.

All of that is true to some extent.  But did you notice that all of those answers neglect one big factor - the self.  They put all the blame outside of the person.  When you see the world that way, you have little or no control.  You are are helpless and just have to live out the hand you were dealt.  That is how some people see it, and that is how they limit themselves.  Despite the limitations, which can be very significant, people have control over a lot, but it is necessary to maximize it.  Everybody has limitations, but there is a huge amount you can do even within your limitations.  That is the challenge of life.  That is the challenge of treasure hunting.

I mentioned the serenity prayer a few times this year.  One of my readers found it very impactful.  Here it is.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference. 

What things can you change? 

There are things you can change and things you can't.  There are things that you need to change to overcome the things you can't change.

You can't change the fact that they dumped sand on the beach.  You can't change that someone else beat you to your favorite site.  You can't change the fact that some of the treasure has already been found.  You can't change the fact that you don't have all the time, money, or health in the world.  But you can change how you respond to the obstacles and limitations. 

Our biggest and most important  limitations (largely because you have control over them) are self-imposed.  How you think can restrict you, but you can also think of ways to overcome obstacles.

Think about how success is achieved.  Take, for example, Mel Fisher.  That is an example most of us know something about.  First, he moved from California.  He took risks - big risks.  He didn't let his present location and situation set his boundaries.  Many would not be willing to take the risk, make the move, and then stick it out for years.

Not everyone is going to be a Mel Fisher.  Not everyone should be.  You might not be willing to do what he did, and you don't need to.  But be willing to think and explore, and when you consciously decide you are not willing to do something, accept it as being a part of who you are.  For example, you might not be willing to move miles away from your home or family.  Those are your priorities and a big part of who you are.

You might not have as much free time as you wish.  You might not have as much money as you wish.  You might not be as healthy as you wish, but within all those limitations, you can still do a lot, especially if you are focused and creative.

There are some things I noticed about the memorable hunts and finds that I've been talking about.  For one thing, many were at different locations.  St. Lucia is perhaps the most exotic location.  I went there on a vacation when I had the opportunity, and had a lot of fun, and a little success.  But as the amount of time I have to devote to hunting has diminished, I've learned how find a lot within walking distance of my home.  That is one way I've learned to deal with a limitation that I intentionally accepted.

Many of the hunts I still remember involved an obstacle of one kind or another.  Working in rough water, or working in cold weather, or walking a good distance through the mud and mangroves to get to an area where I never saw any other detectorists.  I used to say, if you don't want to do it, do it.  What I meant is, don't just do the easy thing.  Going one step farther, in one way or another, opened up opportunities and resulted in memorable finds and days.

I mentioned the other day how obstacles can be opportunities.  I always enjoyed figuring out how things work, and figuring out new and different ways of doing things.  I believe there is always a better way.

One of my favorite and most productive holes was covered with rocks.  It made digging objects very difficult.  You couldn't use a scoop there.  The rocks were packed like pavement.   And it was the rocks that protected the goodies and kept them for me.  I figured out a way to work the rocks, and it paid off.  That hole produced a good number of my best finds.

In the past, when I did not have some of my current responsibilities, and was younger and more able and willing to do some things, I did some things that I can't do now.  I'm still learning how to overcome those limitations.  I've learned that there is a lot to find within walking distance of my home.

I haven't had a lot of success.  My success has been limited by my priorities, and sometimes my weaknesses and the same kinds of failures that limits everybody, but some of those limits are self-imposed.  They are the result of my choices and my priorities.  

I always say, there is always a way.  You have limitations.  You have priorities.  Those are your choices. But in treasure hunting don't limit yourself by failing to explore new methods and opportunities,  There are always new ways to hunt.  Challenge yourself.  Explore.  Expand.  Think.  The best way to expand your world is to think more deeply.  Obstacles are real, but can be overcome, one way or another.  As I said the other day, don't follow - find your own way.  

===

I just received and began to read Ship's Fastneings From Sewn Boat to Steamship, by Michael McCarthy.   I'll have some comments on that in the near future.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov.

It is that time of year when we see tropical disturbances coming off Africa.  There is one out there now, but it might not develop.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net