Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 29, 2022

6/29/22 Report - Securing Ships Fastenings: Spikes, Bolts, Nails, Rivets, Roves and Clinch Rings. Monitoring Lightning.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Two Nails or Small Spikes and
One Rivet (bottom) Dug On Treasure Coast.


Above are two nails or small pikes and a rivet dug on a Treasure Coast beach.

One of the things in the McCarthy book on ships fastenings that impressed me was how often the fasteners were fixed at both ends to secure fastenngs.. That is unlike the common view of nails as used at h, which are usually "driven short."  That means the pointed end does not exit the wood.  But very often ships fasteners were secured at both ends rather than driven short.

There are a variety of methods used to secure fasteners at both ends.  The head of a spike or bolt might be driven flat over a rove, for example.  The other end might be clinched or split and tightened by a wedge being driven into the split.

In the above illustration, the top spike has a large and very flattened head.  The head could have been flattened over a rove or clinch ring.  That is what it looks like to me.

Very often spikes would be countersunk.  The head would then be covered with a substance like tar and maybe wood protect the spike from water and corrosion.

The following illustration shows bolts being used with a clinch ring.


The bolt in the middle is being spread with a ballpeen hammer.  That gives me a different view of the bronze spike (below) I showed yesterday.

Broken Bronze Spike.

The end on the right looks like it was flattened and is wider than the shank of the spike at that end.  I never really paid much attention to that fact.  I kind of figured that the broader flat end was the head, but after looking at it more, I noticed that the shank was narrower at that end.  Below is a photo of the two ends of the spike.  On the left is the end where the shank is wider, and on the right is the end where the shank is narrower.  The scale for both ends is probably not exact, but close.



It appears that maybe the end on the right was flattened or spread out, while the other end (left) is very close to the size of the shank at that point.  So maybe my initial impression that the end shown on the right was the head of the spike is entirely wrong.  Now I think the head broke off and is missing.

Just conjecture at this point, but it is interesting how learning a few new things can change your view of a find.

I'm curious about the holes in the end shown on the right - corrosion, imperfections in the original spike, or something else.  At one point I hoped there might be a maker's mark or something, but I don't think so now.

Well, I've been learning from the McCarthy book, and it has been opening up new views of some old finds for me.  I won't look at spikes or bolts in quite the same way.  They are now more interesting and complex as I learn how to better understand what they could be telling me.  Interesting how slowly personal knowledge advances, going from one mistaken view to another but moving towards a more complete understanding.

I started to talk about the rivet shown in the top photo, but barely mentioned it.  Sorry for meandering.

I started reading this book hoping to pick up some clues on identifying the age of individual spike finds.  I'll eventually get to that.

---

By the way, a few days ago I mentioned a lightning detector. I've used it a little, and it might be more useful than I originally thought. A couple days ago I started detecting lightning that was detected as being five miles from my location. A little later it was showing lightning that was more like seven miles away, and then later, twelve miles away, and a little later nothing.  The next night I used it similarly, and saw the readings indicate lightning that was approaching rather than moving away from my location. It might help you decide if lightning is coming your way or not, and if you should head home right away.   It is small and easy to keep in a pocket.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Looks like the yellow area has the best chance of affecting us, but it is not developing much, yet, and is expected to stay south.

Nothing much bigger than a one-foot surf expected for the Treasure Coast this week.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net