Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

6/7/22 Report - HMS Invincible Shipwreck and Artifacts. Memorable Fossil Find.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Source: BBC link immediately below.



More artefacts from a warship that was wrecked in the Solent in 1758 have been brought to the surface.

HMS Invincible - built by the French in 1744 and captured by the British in 1747 - is believed to be one of the most significant warships ever built.

A second excavation is being carried out on the wreck site near Portsmouth.

Among the finds are a gunpowder barrel, swivel guns, woodworking tools and a sandglass used in calculating the ship's speed...

Here is the link for more about that.

 33 HMS Invincible shipwreck's latest artefacts revealed - BBC News

----


The lost rudder of a warship that sank in the Solent in 1758 has been discovered on the seabed, 60m (200ft) away from the main shipwreck.

HMS Invincible - built by the French in 1744 and captured by the British in 1747 - is regarded as one of the most significant warships of its time.

The 11m-long intact rudder was spotted during a routine inspection of the site near Portsmouth....

And here is that link.

HMS Invincible shipwreck: Rudder found on Solent seabed - BBC News

---

Some tme ago I started posting old finds that were particularly memorable for me.  Memorable finds can be memorable for a variety of reasons.  Some are the best, or most rare, or most valuable.  Others were memorable because they were the first that I found, and some were memorable because of something having to do with where or how they were found.

I like finding a lot of different kinds of things and hunt for many types of things that are not metal and do not require a metal detector.  Some I do not really target but sometimes find while metal detecting.  Among the non-metallic treasures that you can coincidentally find on a beach are indigenous artifacts, which are ptetty rare, fossils, sea glass, bottles and pottery shards, and, of course, seashells.

Of the fossils, among the top two is a nice large fossil great white shark's tooth. 


On the left is the great white shark tooth, which is shown with a meg tooth on the right.  the great white tooth was found when I wasn't looking for fossils.  In fact, when I saw it, at first I thought I was seeing a piece of a buried bottle.  I didn't know what it was until I picked it up.

The great white tooth is in much better condition than the meg tooth.  The serrations are perfect, as is the surface of the tooth.  It was the first nice shark tooth that I ever found, and it was found on the banks of the Indian River lagoon, where I've found only two fossils over many years. It was the first and, for me, the nicest.

I actually had found a few fossils while digging up shallow water targets down in South Florida, but they did not impress me so much.  In fact, I did not know what they were until many years (in fact a few decades) after they were found.  The great white tooth is one find that will always stand out for me.  I've found a variety of shark tooth fossils since then, but never another great white tooth.

---

The surf will be about two to four feet, and the tides are small.\

Good hunting,\

TreasureGuide@comcast.net