Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

6/26/22 Report - Nice Find. Laws on Florida Waterways. Beyond the Nail. Two Tropical Disturbances.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Three Views of Wood Pully
Photo and Find by Scott B.

Good morning and thank you for your ongoing informative blog. A couple of months ago I found the item below while exploring the ICW from Fernandina Beach to north Jacksonville.
   It may not be too old, but it’s made of wood and looks like a piece of a pulley or something that guided rope. It was a surface find that I thought was a bit different than the normal find.
   I’m not sure if anyone else might think this is interesting, but thought I’d send it to you to see if you might have any ideas.
   Thanks again for all you do and your ongoing wisdom in our current world events. I hope you have a blessed weekend.
  Scott

---

Very nice find Scott!  

If anyone has additional thoughts or information about the item, let me know.  I'm sure there are people who can identify the type of wood if they were to see the item in person.  I gave Scott a few ideas on how to follow up.

Old wood that has been waterlogged can badly deteriorate if not properly preserved, and proper preservation can take a while.  You might think the wood will hold up, but in a few years you might then discover that it has become soggy.  I'd give some advice on conservation, but it depends upon the type of wood and other factors.  Once properly conserved, something like this would make a very nice display.


Here is a link to a good resource for researching riggings for historic ships.



One thing about the Intercoastal Waterway: being a "navigable waterway" it is owned by the state for the use of the public.  I try to avoid commenting on laws and legal issues because they are usually complex, confusing and cannot be adequately summarized in a brief post, or even series of posts, but normally you are either on state controlled land or private property.  The private property starts at the "mean high tide line."  If you hunt on the banks of the waterway, you will need to gain permission of the property owner, and when in the water, you are on property owned by the state.

Here is one article that will will you some insight into that.


----

I received the following photo and email from Warren D.

Nail Found by Warren.
Learn about it's significance below.


I found this nail several years ago and it may not seem so significant
to many people but I'll tell you the "rest of the story". I was
detecting a Treasure Coast beach with my Pulse Induction detector when
I got a loud bonging sound. I thought it must be a shallow target for
how loud it was and I took a quick scoop. Didn't get it and I was a
little surprised. I took a second, third and fourth scoop till I
finally got it. It was down in the orange sand, encrusted and at first
I didn't realize it was so old because I was still shocked how deep it
was (19 inches) and how loud it was when I first detected it.
I kicked the sand in and refilled the hole and took one step to my
right, swung the coil and got another loud bong about a foot away. I
said to myself another dam nail I guess I'll dig it anyway. I took the
same 4 scoops to reach it, same frustration level, and at just about
the same depth I found the best find of my life.
Now I appreciate the nail because I believe it is related to my find.
Also, I think the nail shielded the find from other detectorists with
VLF detectors, ignoring iron.
Notice the concretion near the point of the coil. Since it is a thin
nail and maybe not structural maybe it was to a piece of furniture?
Warren D.

Thanks Warren. Good reminders.

---

The tropical weather is hearing up.   It is very hot out there, and there are now two disturbances to watch.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

At this point it looks like neither of those will hit Florida.,

Just a two to four-foot surf is predicted for the next few days.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net