Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2022

6/27/22 Report - Information On Pulley Find Received. Framing Spike. Tropical Activity.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Large Dug Find by Bill T.

 Today I'll post some emails I recently received.  First, below is an email from Bill T that goes with the photo above.

Wondered if you might like to share this on your blog. Not sure if you would call it a spike or a pin. I found it 2 1/2 years ago on Singer Island. There had been a week of large North swells which stripped the beach back to the boulder line. I went in with my 8" coil to look between the big rocks. After a couple hours of digging out modern junk, I got a very strong signal. When I dug down I found what I thought was a piece of copper pipe. With the waves still quite large and the tide coming back in, I decided to jerk out the "pipe" and leave. I got my finger around the bent hook and pulled real hard. After the third try it broke free. I was happily shocked when I realized what it was. Straightened out it would be 16" long. I'm guessing the end has been clinched but I'm not sure. The bonus is it still had a piece of wood attached to it. The wood is dark green from the copper which preserved it. It's been in a rain barrel ever since I found it. Every time it rains, fresh water circulates around it. Three weeks ago I took it out and dried it out thoroughly and then soaked it in sealer. I hope it holds up for a long time!

Bill T.

A lot of stuff was found back around then.  Congrats Bill.  

I'll post more on ship framing and spikes in the near future.

----

Pulley Found by Scott.
More photos of this find posted yesterday.


Yesterday I posted a nice find that looked like a pulley, and I received an authoritative identification from John L., who has identified other nautical items for this blog in the past.  Here is what John said about that pulley (sheave or sheeve).

Hello again,

As ALWAYS, another interesting and informative post today!

As you may recall I have commented and identified a mystery object before, specifically a Wilcox/Crittendon marine fitting.

This one is no doubt an old sheeve from a block and tackle.

It is most likely made of lignum vitae wood, the only wood that would survive the elements for a long period, especially when exposed on the surface.

The wood was commonly used for this exact purpose of making hard maritime fittings that could withstand long periods at sea, out of relatively thin pieces of wood.

Hope this helps.

John Lebeau


John then followed up with additional information in a second email. Here that is.


I should have suggested to take note of the small pin at the 10 o'clock point of the center circle.

That is the release pin for the larger pin in the center of the sheeve.

When this small pin is knocked out, the larger, center pin easily drops out, thereby making it possible to pin and secure the sheeve in the middle of a large wooden block surrounding it.

Not sure why this one would be in this state [condition]. Possibly because they were less prone to deterioration this way with less surface area exposed and therefore could kept longer as a spare part. 

If it was stored with an open hole in the middle, it would obviously deteriorate faster.

John Lebeau


Great info John.  Thanks much for the help.

---

It doesn't interest me too much but My Radar app is offering historical radar loops as far back as 2017.

 There is a free trial offer. Might be valuable if someone were to want to study and analyze how certain storms have affected our shoreline. Cross referenced with wind, wave height and tide and you may have some cool data. 

Water is clearing up at the beach.

db

Thanks DB.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Here is the National Hurricane Center map. With the hot weather we have been seeing more tropical activity. Nothing headed directly at us yet.


No big changes in the surf are predicted this week.


Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net