Search This Blog

Sunday, June 9, 2024

6/10/24 Report - Red Dot Champion Pin. Mystery Object. Three Shark Attacks in Florida Waters.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Red Dot Champion Lapel Pin.

If you metal detect very much, you'll find a good number of lapel pins of various types.  Above is one that I found.  I have learned a little about it, but not much.

Red dot sights are considered to be fast-acquisition and easy-to-use gun sights for firearms used in civilian target shooting, hunting, or in police and military applications. They are also used on cameras and telescopes. On cameras they are used to photograph flying aircraft, birds in flight, and other distant, rapidly moving subjects.

It is not difficult to find these pins for sale online, however I haven't found much information about when they are given or their purpose

It seems that "red dot" most likely refers to a gun sight.  I understand that there are many brands of red dot sights, but I haven't found a sight manufacturer or brand that goes by the name of Champion. So at this point, my guess is that it is a shooting award rather than an advertising item.  I have seen it associated with shoting matches, but I haven't seen it clearly described as an award pin.

Can you find additional information on this pin for me?  Thanks.

---

Here is a mystery object from Mark G.

Here is what he said.

I have not been able to find an image that supports my ashtray theory so back to the drawing board. First is it an eagle or a dove? Both are used quite frequently to adorn almost anything you can think of from trophies to ashtrays. Given it’s size, shape and frankly lack of detail it’s definitely part of something bigger in which it was a useful part of, like a handle or cigarette rest. Maybe the material used to attach it on the bottom can be a clue as to what it was attached to. Symbols can be attached to brass, glass, copper, ceramic, cast iron and more. But I have not been able to find a match with a lot of searches. But searches are only as good as the data you have, if nobody ever took a picture and wrote a few words about what this was in past life then it will not show up in a future search, obviously.

Mark G.

Below the item is shown with a ruler.

---

What do you think it is?

---

Three shark attacks in Florida waters.

"It's rare, exceedingly rare, to have three victims in one day," Crawford said. "We need to get a little time and distance until we can safely allow everybody to go back in the water."

The incidents mark the first shark-related incidents in Florida in 2024, according to trackingsharks.com...

Here is the link.


I mentioned this before, but it seemed to me that sharks were repelled by submerged metal detectors.  I don't know if that is right, but I've seen it happen a few times when a shark was headed in my direction and then suddenly veered away.  Could just be natural behavior.

---

Yesterday I talked about a large mastodon tusk that was found by a diver off the west coast of Florida.  While on the subject of tusks, I should have mentioned the important discovery made at the Vero Man site.

Here is a link.


----

Surf Chart from Surfguru.com.


The surf chart looked a little more optimistic yesterday.  Now it looks like we don't have much to look forward to for several days.

The afternoon low tides have been decent lately.  No big high tides.


Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net