Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2024

6/22/24 Report - Using More of Your Subconscious Mind For Treasure Hunting. Apple, Lighthouse, CCL, Lisa, and American Legion Pins.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


I once did a post on the math of metal detecting.  In fact, I did several posts that addressed that topic to some extent.  Below is a link to one of those.   You can find others if you use the search box in the blog.

The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 7/10/14 Report - The Math of Metal Detecting and How It Can Assist Decisions and Strategies

As you might expect, over the years I've changed.  My circumstances have changed, the place of metal detecting in my life has changed and the way I approach metal detecting has changed.

One of the few times I did some beach metal detecting this year, I found a gold ring, but I didn't remember a thing about it.  It isn't that my memory is that bad, and it isn't that I found so many gold rings.  I haven't detected much at all this year, and it has been some weeks since that find, but I was surprised that I didn't remember the ring even though it was a decent piece of gold.  I guess I didn't remember much about it because I've been so busy with other things, but there is another reason. I'm not so impressed by gold finds anymore.  They just aren't that impressive to me anymore unless they are really something special.  I think you'll find that as you accumulate larger numbers of good finds, the more common ones impress you less.

I look at metal detecting a lot differently than I did when I began.  There was a time when I really pushed.  I put in a lot of time and effort and even got upset when I wasn't finding anything good.  I told the story before, but I remember one morning when I started at sunrise and was determined to find a gold ring before I quit, and that didn't happen until around sunset.  I hunted all day.  I was determined.  That was my state of mind in those days.  

In the past few years, I've seldom put in a session of more than two hours at a time.  I still like hunting, but I haven't had the time, and it hasn't been such a priority in my life.  I expect and hope to do more hunting in the future when I get over this hump in my life.

You might look at things differently as the years go by, but different people look at metal detecting differently from the very beginning.  Some have realistic expectations and others do not.  Most people don't know a lot about it until they spend a lot of time at it, so their attitudes and approaches change.

When it comes to treasure hunting, most of the time, I am a very empirical and data-driven person.  That is true of my metal detecting.  Some people are like that, but other people are more intuitive.  They don't get so much into the math of metal detecting.  

I think most detectorists take more of an empirical rather than an intuitive approach.  After all, metal detecting is named after a piece of technology, so it draws people who like, or at least have nothing against technology.  It seems to me that most detectorists like to read the conductivity numbers and pay more out of those numbers than is really warranted or productive.  I think it is safe to say that most detectorists are attracted by the technology, and enjoy playing with metal detectors.

Treasure hunting, the way I use the term, is a more general term than metal detecting.  You can be a treasure hunter without using a metal detector.  There are other methods and approaches.  I've described some of those in the past.  If you are hunting lithic artifacts or bottles, for example, you might not use a metal detector, although one could possibly be useful at times.  And you can sift, dredge or use other methods for finding coins or other metal treasures.  

Most detectorists are more comfortable in the sensing/thinking modes.  Most tend to be more into sensing than more intuitive modes.  But there are other methods of finding treasure and some people use use them.  Some people use dowsing, and believe they can find treasure that way  They believe in and use methods that are not as scientific or technical in nature.  They might believe in instinct or intuition or what some might describe as subconscious or even mystical processes. 

My primary approach to treasure hunting is more of a sensing/thinking modes.  I make a lot of observations and test hypotheses, but I'm also interested in the intuitive/feeling modes.  

Some people like to go out and follow their feelings.  They go more by instinct or intuition.  And that is fine.  Although that is not my predominant or most natural mode, I like to explore that side of things too.  It isn't as easy to explain or prove the more intuitive approaches but those approaches have an appeal to some people and I personally enjoy exploring occasionally.  They do add something. 
They can be used to improve creativity.  I highly recommend at least exploring your more intuitive side even it it does not come natural to you. I find some of those techniques helpful and enjoyable. 

You might try a little dowsing for example.  At least look into it even if it doesn't seem to work for you.  You just might find it beneficial - if not directly in some indirect way.  It might get you into maps more for example.  Some people do it and think it works.  I've received some maps from dowsers.  No matter what you think of dowsing, when you look at a map with a big X on it, you might at least consider an area or something that you might otherwise never consider. 

At some level I believe most detectorist find some magic in metal detecting.  They feel some level of intuition in their hunts.  They might read a beach but be drawn to an area that by everything they know, doesn't promising at all on the surface.  Many people believe in things like beginners' luck or will pay attention to that "feeling" they get to look here or there for no other apparent reason.  

I'd recommend trying meditation.  Meditation can take many forms and is different things to different people, but in the end involves little more than quieting your mind and being open.  It can take some practice.  It will be difficult or next to impossible for some people.

I spent a year doing biofeedback research on the postdoctoral level in a university lab and found out that I produce very little alpha activity.  I tend to go into theta and produce mental imagery, which I personally like and find somewhat helpful at times.  

Quieting your mind can help you in a number of ways.  One is getting rid of preconceptions when encountering objects or situations.  That helps you take a fresh look at things.  It helps with creativity.

You might try quieting your mind and listening to a beach or an object you found.  If you are so inclined it might feel to you like the beach or object will tell its story.  You might look at it as listening to your subconscious mind.  

---

I'll just quickly add a few more lapel pin today.

Carnival Cruise Line (left) and Lighthouse Lapel Pin (right.

From the little I've read, I think the green Carnival Cruise Line pin was given to first time CCL customers, but I'm not sure about what, if anything, the Captain's Circle means.

The lighthouse pin has no words or clues on it.  Do you know where it comes from?


American Legion School Award Lapel Pin.

I posted and talked about the American Legion School Award before.  That is a very nice antique or vintage pin.

The American Legion School Award Medal Program has been recognizing students since 1926. It was established by the Department of Pennsylvania in 1921 to instill character and promote American ideals among youth...


Apple On Books Lapel Pin.

I assume this apple pin above is for educators.


Apple Lisa Lapel Pin.

Keeping with the apple theme, above is a Lisa pin.  

Released by Apple on January 19, 1983, the Lisa was the first computer with the Graphic User Interface that has become the standard for personal computers.

People made a big deal out of the Apple/;s innovative graphic user interface, which many people found more friendly than the DOS command line interface.

I was unimpressed then and am still.  Every icon is accompanied by a label, so it is a textual as graphic even though the icons are more eye-catching.

---

We'll have a bit of a negative tide this afternoon.  The surf has decreased to two or three feet and will get smaller.  The National Hurricane Map isn't showing much of interest.

Good hunting,

Treasureguide@comcast.net