Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2020

10/11/20 Report - Silver Dollar Find. Another Deep Hole Story. Maybe Some North Winds and Bigger Surf Next Week.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

1926 Peace Dollar Find.

I haven't been doing a lot of detecting lately. I got interested in some fossils and other things, but a local lady said there were old bricks at a vacant lot she owned next to her house.  She gave me permission to hunt it whenever I wanted.  The lot is very overgrown with weeds and small trees, but I decided to give it a shot.

I couldn't really sweep the coil, but moved it around and into the spaces where I could get it and found some junk, but kept at it a little while because the bricks did look old and it seemed like, to use a phrase I used yesterday, something happened there.

After about twenty minutes, I got a better hit.  The Equinox meter read 19 and sometimes 18.  I didn't know for sure what that indicated but started to dig and hit a buried brick and then a root.  The object was still there so after some time clearing the dirt out, I found the 1926 Peace dollar standing on end between the brick and root.

I would expect a silver dollar to give me a high number on the meter - something around 36, which is about what you would normally get with a silver dollar laying flat on the ground.

Anyhow, the coin cleaned up fairly well but is weakly struck and the surface is pitted and banged up.

Pitted Weakly Struck Surface of 1926 Peace Dollar.

Being a common date and not in great condition, isn't very valuable, but I was happy to find it in such a junky area, and I'd bet there is more waiting for another day.  

The vegetation has been very thick this year with all the rain, but in the future I might clear some of it out.

---

I have been busy exploring some other things lately.  If I figure out how I want to do it, I might post a video of what I've been working on.

A fellow from a fossil web site asked me if I wanted to sell any mammal carnivore teeth, so I looked up fossil wolf teeth and they do bring pretty good prices - better than the above Peace dollar.

At St. Lucie Jewelry or Pawn or whatever it is called, they had a porpoise skull on display along with some shipwreck spikes, pot shards and a bunch of reales and some escudos for sale.  I thought the porpoise skull was interesting, especially since I found a partial jaw recently, which I think is probably gator, but I'm not sure.

---

JamminJack told a story very similar to the one about the 12 foot deep hole dug by the fellow that was detecting his steel toed shoes.

Here is Jack's account.

I guess I told you this story before.

I saw someone digging a deep hole right in the area where a known large object had been detected numerous times. He asked me if I knew about this. I told him many theories, but only a few have ever seen what was down there. He was already a foot deeper then his height. The water was starting to come up the beach and into the hole. I pulled him out before caving. I noticed his shoes, and they had eyelets made out of metal. I swung my detector in his hole and no hit, which surprised me! He was aligned with one of the roofs on the condos which were used for finding this large object. It either shifted or was toward the ocean from where we were. I swept the area with no luck!! I told him the object probably got washed out in the dirt he had removed. Could not tell him it was his shoes!!! This a true story, and knew who the person was...one of the investors.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

I don't think that new wave will do much of anything, but I'll keep watching it.

According to Ventusky.com, it looks like we'll get some cooler air nest week.  I'll welcom that, especially since I might be going back to the overgrown mosquito infested lot.


Source; MagicSeaWeed.com


Notice the predicted increase in surf next Saturday.  That is very iffy at this point, but we can hope.

I do expect us to get some north winds in a few days.  Looks like a little cool front.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net