Search This Blog

Thursday, October 29, 2020

10/2920 Report - Miscellaneous Recent Finds. More High Water Predicted.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

A Few Miscellaneous Finds
From Last Thursday.


Last week wasn't a bad week for metal detecting.  Overall, despite a long summer, the year wasn't the worst for beach metal detecting.  We had a good spell back around April and then another last week.  

I showed some things that were found last week, but of course there were more.  Some I heard about but didn't see.

I showed a bunch of coins found last Wednesday, most, but not all, were modern.  I don't think I showed finds from Thursday.  I started to a few times, but had other things to post at the time.

I just tumbled a bunch of coins, some I wanted to get enough of the crust off to see if there was anything good.  I didn't get all of the encrusted coins done yet though.  So far, nothing good that I didn't already know about - just a few modern silver coins.

Besides coins there were other kinds of things found last week, including spikes and stuff.  At the top of this post are a few finds from the coin hole that I described a few days ago.

One was a heavily encrusted watch, which is barely visible.  What amazed me about that item is not the watch, but the encrustation.  I don't believe the item is very old, but the crust is like concrete.  It is a really hard stone that you would think would be very old.  I think stone forms much more quickly than you might think.  I've talked about that some back a few years ago.

Also was this round flat piece of lead that looked like a coin at first.  It definitely sounded different than a coin though.  It is very thin.  Can't say much of anything about that one.

Thin Flat Piece of Lead
About the Size of a Quarter.



Then there were the variety of coins.  I spent a lot of time on the history of the one very old one, but there were other silver coins and some that were absolutely unidentifiable.


Easily Identified Silver Coin
In Readable Condition.


Unidentifiable Silver Coin
Found Last Week.


Back on Oct 18, the first day of the recent high water, Wayne G. found the following spikes.  He said, I have watched your posts for the last five years and have enjoyed all.  I found these spikes on a Treasure Coast beach on Sunday, October 18th, 2020...  


Three Spikes Found by Kathi G.
Photo by Kathi G.

Thanks Wayne.  Not only did you find some nice spikes, but you are to be commended for including measurements with your photo.  Many people forget to do that.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

---

And Nick A. sent me an email showing his finds from this Tuesday.  Here is what he said.

Just thought I'd share my finds from this morning [Tues.].  I found a consistent line on the beach just above the low water line, but the coins were pretty spread out. Then I tried another spot in a higher wooded area I know of and did a little better. Managed to get 47 coins all together, one of which 1952 dime. Not sure what the brass looking piece is?

Finds by Nick A.
Photo by Nick A.


I told Nick his brass looking piece might be part of a fishing lore.

To sum up the last week or so, the high water on the Treasure Coast produced some Spanish reales - at more than one location - and also some spikes and other things, along with many coins and other miscellaneous modern items.

There are more recent finds remaining to be cleaned and researched.

---

I added the link for Robert Nesmith's Coinage of the First Mint of the Americas at Mexico City, 1536-1572 to the link list on this blog.  You'll find it on the right side of the first page along with a couple other good links.

---

This country is suffering badly from the lack of an honest media and objective sources of good information.  The technology is there, but there is a lack of honest sources that will put good honest information out there.  I always loved university libraries.  Now it would seem that we can access information from our homes, which should be a huge advantage, but so little of it gets distributed objectively.  Most of it is filtered or twisted by politics or economics, which are intertwined.  The actual studies of the virus, for example, should be available to the public, but it is very hard to find, and more often what you get is one side or the other.  You don't get access to the studies.  You have to pay a lot for access to the scientific journals, and many of them have become politicized too.  The public only gets a bunch of twisted misunderstood trash from the media which has neither the ability or desire to understand and communicate the information honestly and effectively.  Our educational institutions are largely to blame for all of that.

---

There is a little late activity on the NHC map.  

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Louisiana got hit again.  This time by Zeta.  They had a very difficult year.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

It looks like we might get some more high water in about a week or so.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net