Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2020

10/y5/20 Report - Mystery Treasure Coast Target With Many Different Answers. A Piece of the Treasure Coast Reveals Gems.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blotspot.com.


Target Of Large Signal Mentioned In Yesterday's Post.
Photos By Bill R.


For years there has been a large target buried near the location shown above.  I probably tried to dig it a time or two, but other times just passed it up.  Maybe I've posted about it before in years past.  I don't recall.  But  yesterday I posted an email from Bill R., who encountered the large signal, and wondered what the target might be.  I've seen people spend a lot of time digging a big hole there before, evidently not getting the target out.  At one time I got the idea it was an aluminum fence post, but I don't know how I got that idea now.  Like I said, it has been years.

I got several emails from others who had detected the signal and gave answers to what the target is.  Interestingly, there was no consensus and everyone had their own idea.  Here are some of those.

DJ said, Last year, a little north of there I hit a long narrow non-ferrous signal that was deep and I kept checking it. Later in the year the erosion removed enough sand to tell it was the top of an aluminum chair, most of it buried.

Tony S. hit what might or might not be the same thing, but thought it is a boat rubrail.

Nick A. said, I’ve hit that same spot. I recognize the house to the side, distance from house across bushes and palm, and distance from dune edge to where he’s digging.

I’ve gotten down about 2 ft, took widening out and creating a foxhole to do it, and was not able to get down far enough with the water fill.

Have read about an old car engine block at one of the beaches, but can’t remember which one.

Sherman D. said,  That item is supposed to be a large metal cabinet of some kind. I actually dug down and touched it once. I found a post somewhere that had a drawing of it. But don't remember where.

I'm sure there are many others who have detected a large target in the general area - perhaps the same one and only - but did not manage to unearth it.  It is one of those things - a common experience shared by many metal detecting enthusiasts, which lingers as a curiosity.  

----


Beach Rock Found on the Treasure Coast.

Above is a piece of the Treasure Coast that I picked up on the beach one day.  Looks kind of drab.  Not very special, but if you take a closer look you might be surprised by what you see.  Here are a few pictures I took of that Treasure Coast beach rock through a microscope.


  Cryastalized Sea Shells Found in Beach Rock.





You can see how the sea shells mineralize.  There are some that are little changed, others that began too change and others that are completely crystallized.

As I've said before, the most collected gems of Florida are calcite crystals.


---


We have two tropical storms now.  Delta might become a hurricane for a short while.  Gamma is heading for Mexico.  Delta is heading towards the north Gulf Coast.

Our surf will remain in the two or three foot range.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net