Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

10/27/20 Report - More 16th Century Spanish Coins From the Treasure Coast. And More Finds From Last Week.

 Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


16th Century One Real Found by Weller
At The Winter Beach Site.

Submitted by JamminJack.

JamminJack sent me the above photo of a 16th century one-reale found by Bob Weller at the Winter Beach site.  It is very similar to the sixteenth-century two-reale found by Terry S. and the one found just last week.   So there are three 16th century reales that we know have been found on the Treasure Coast.  Of course, there may be others, but they seem to be rare.  The story of where they came from and how they they ended up where they were found has not been fully told yet.  I will add a little to that at some point.  Knowledge is pieced together gradually through fits and starts, dead-ends and corrections.  (Coincidentally, the "fits and starts" idiom is a 16th century expression.)

To add additional context, Jack also sent me the following photo showing a group Spanish  coins of about the same era that were found near the Disney resort.


Early Coins Found Near the Disney Resort
Photo submitted by JamminJack.

Although I can't see all the details, some, if not all, appear to be copper  maravedis.  Without studying them, I am pretty sure some are four-maravedis.  

Below are some examples of early maravedis from https://en.numista.com/.  

Strangely, it seems many of those shown above are upside down.  The easiest feature to match, is perhaps the big V shown on the last example below, which you can see on some of the coins shown above.




In the near future I plan to tell where the most recent two-reale find came from, including the wreck and how it became part of a coin line that was dug last Wednesday.

Thanks to Jack for sharing his research and the photos.

If I got any of that wrong, please let me know.

---

There were a variety of finds made last week.  I already showed a bunch of modern coins that were found Wednesday, including a heavily corroded unidentifiable silver coin, but there were other kinds of objects found as well.  And the Thursday hunt was a continuation of the Wednesday hunt.  It  resulting in more coins and things being found in the same coin hole.

I don't think I showed the 40 coins found Thursday yet.  Here they are.

40 Coins Found on Treasure Coast Beach Thursday.

There were a few silver coins found in the group Thursday too.  Again, most were modern.  There were a few other types of items found with that group that I plan to show some other time.

Back a few days earlier -  I think it was Sunday or Monday a week ago - this was found.


Item Found South of The Turtle Trail Access Last Week.
Shown on the Face of  a US quarter for size comparison.

I found lots of these on different occasions very near the Turtle Trail access many years ago.  I think it is a small caliber bullet that was shot into the sand.  I was always curious about why there were so many there.  I'm sure that many others have found them too, but I was a little surprised to see one pop up a bit to the south last week. 

---

Tropical Storm Zeta is now over the Yucatan, but that one doesn't mean much to us.

On the Treasure Coast, a surf of around two feet is expected until next weekend when there will be a little increase.

Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net