Search This Blog

Friday, October 16, 2020

10/16/20 Report - Jensen Beach. Eyeballing. Thoughts On Mystery Object. Bigger Surf Predicted.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Jensen Beach Thursday Afternoon.

I hadn't been to Jensen Beach for quite a while, and was down that way the other day, so took a couple photos of the beach.  I didn't have time to do any detecting.

As you can see Jensen beach wasn't newly eroded, but there were some people in the surf.  

Not a bad metal detecting beach, but there are a lot of detectorists that hit that beach regularly.  I still like the area, and would definitely detect around there if I was down that way more often.  


Jensen Beach Thursday Afternoon.

---

One person found some gold walking across a shopping center parking lot Wednesday.


Eyeballed Gold Earring.
Photo by Joyce H.

This gold earring was eyeballed in a parking lot.  It is marked 14K.  If you are in the habit of looking for things, you'll undoubtedly make a few finds like that.

I always like eyeballing and wrote a couple articles on the subject for treasure magazines back years ago.  I've also talked about it in this blog.

For example, see https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2011/09/9611-report-visual-detecting-mule-train.html

(Don't forget - years of old posts are still available at the treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com site.)

Some things can not be found by a metal detector, such as bottles, shells and fossils, but you might be surprised how many metallic objects you can find visually.   If you can really read a beach, a you can find coins that way.  I've talked to some beach walkers who have accumulated a good collection of coins just walking along a beach every morning.  That is much easier in a busy area like Miami.

I always liked eyeballing.  It is challenging.  Obviously it is much more difficult to find coins on a beach visually than using a detector.  As obvious as that is, if you really know how to read a beach and look in the right spots, you will find coins visually, such as at the bottom of a cut or at the edge of the surf as they get uncovered.  A good wind will uncover coins sometimes too.

---

In addition to those I already posted, I received a good number of thoughts about the mystery lead object, but there was no consensus.    

Law W. said,

 To me, that looks like a civil war timeframe trench art/weapon; perhaps a boot knife. These would be made from melted down bullets in the down times. I have seen lead knuckles and other type objects on the web. 

JamminJack was intrigued by the object, having the feeling that he had seen something like it before.  Here are some of his ideas.  

I never been intrigue by an object as this one. The reason is I have seen this before, but cannot figure where I have seen it.

I checked US & Foreign Car
Emblems, Appliances, etc. There were a lot of old cars dumped in the ocean for barriers to keep subs from coming in.

It could be military related. A lot of German Badges were made of lead.
Possibly, Soviet Space, etc.

Civil War and post Civil War had many emblems made of lead.

It could be part of an old toy plane, shuttle, etc. No holes for attachment may wipe any of my theories, but it rings a bell.

I think more modern then super old, but hopefully someone will be able to identify the object.

Jack sent some other ideas, including a stylized corn symbol, and concluded with the following note.

Now, I remember what it reminded me of. A long time ago I took my nephew to the annual Medieval Festival held at our fairground. I remember he was given an object similar to one shown. The face would be the round part and the 3 points were part of the hat.

John L. sent the following thoughts.

In any case, it seems as if the smaller rough triangular section (also visably more decayed), originally shown in the first photo as being at the top, should be on the bottom as shown in later photos.

This would leave me to believe this more worn triangular section was meant to pierce ground, thus making the object a type of fancy ground marker, or perhaps a golf ball marker, or even a fancy little decoration for a potted plant, especially a poinsettia as the object looks like a little Christmas tree!

Like Jack, I felt like I had seen something similar before, but couldn't place what it was.   Of course, I'd like to see the object first hand and get a better look at the designs, which seemed to nclude letters and numbers, as Albertos's enhanced image seemed to show.  If you could make out any of the writing or design, that could help a lot.  

In the past I've found a good number of Santeria objects, which were made of lead.  I wondered if the object might be some kind of ritual object like that.


Lead is a soft metal which limits its usefulness for some things.  I also thought it might be a part of something else.  I don't know if the one end might be for inserting, maybe into the ground, like someone else suggested.  

Again, the symbols seem important.  There seems to be a triangular section in the middle, something like Masonic items.

It seems like we don't have a definitive answer on that one.

Thanks to everyone who participated.  If I left someone out, it was not intentional.  I lost track of some of this before I got it all posted.

I usually learn something by researching msytery objects, even when the mystery isn't solved.  In this case, while I was looking into it, I ran across some good stuff I'll post in the fuure.  

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

The NHC map is pretty clean now.  The wave of the islands has finally disappeared.

Looks like we'll be getting some bigger surf next week.  The high tides are unusually high too.

4 - 6 feet is predicted for Sunday and 5 - 7 by Wednesday.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.


I'll be looking at the wind and surf direction when the surf starts to get a little bigger.  Hope it all comes together this time.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net