Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2022

11/14/22 Report - Some recent Treasure Coast Finds: Lead Items. Beaches After Nicole.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Lead Objects Found by Russ P.
Photo by Russ P.

Russ recently found the above objects.  Below are some of his comments that were sent with the photos.


First a word of thanks for your excellent blog.  I've learned so much through the years and continue to do so...

I just got back from a detecting trip to England.  Incredible.

You've touched on the subject previously and I reviewed your former entries regarding mystery lead pencil-shaped objects.  I found three several days ago amidst musketballs.  These don't seem to be in the right shape for styluses.  Two of them have a clear groove that I don't think was formed from being rolled.  They do not appear to be broken off at the ends, but I'm not certain.  They are all nearly uniform in size, which makes me wonder if they served a specific purpose.  Are they somehow related to the musketballs?  I found nothing else in the area except what is pictured.  Was lead transported in this size or shape perhaps or was this the preferred rough lead unit size for creating musketballs?  Any thoughts? ...

I discussed these types of objects in the past.  Here is the my most recent post on the subject.


Just to summarize, the PAS database categorizes many similar finds as pencils, other sources as styli, and I recently mentioned the possibility that they were just a convenient form for bulk lead storage prior to be turned into something else, such as musket balls, for example.

There is a difference between a pencil and stylus.  You will find that distinction mentioned in my 9/21/22 post.

It would seem that virtually all of the many examples I've seen, could indeed be used to make a mark on a slate or something.  Those shown above seem to show some differences from the ones I've found.   I don't know if the differences are significant or indicate a different purpose or use.  It seems to me that they might simply be convenient for storage and could be used for any of a variety of purposes, including, but not limited to, making marks, or melting to make musket balls, fill holes or whatever.

----

Frederick Douglass Beach Monday Morning.

Some beaches and some spots deteriorate quickly after a storm.  Other spots can remain good for a while, and some can even improve after a storm as the sand continues to get moved around by the after-storm surf.

Some of the best spots filled almost immediately after Nicole, while other remained productive a little longer.

Here are some photos of Frederick Douglass and John Brooks beaches as they looked Monday morning.


Frederick Douglass Beach Monday Morning.


The St. Lucie County people were taking photos of the beaches this morning, undoubtedly getting ready to ask for more money for more sand.


John Brooks Beach Monday Morning.



John Brooks Beach Mondy Morning.


I have a lot of topics that I've been putting off because of all the recent activity and I haven't even cleaned and photographed my own finds yet.

There were a good number of finds.  Nicole was very different than Ian.  I plan to discuss some of the differences.  

Nicole was one of those that pushed a lot of water straight up onto the beaches rather than slicing the sand and creating cuts.

I'll have to get into that more some other time.

The surf is down to two or three feet now.

There are some pretty good shell lines out there.  The one at John Brooks contained a lot of small aluminum.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net