Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2022

11/13/22 Report - After Nicole Finds From The Vero and Martin County Areas. Another First For One Reader. John Brooks Yesterday.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Reale Find by Alberto S.


Another one of my long-time frequent readers found a cob. I'm so glad for those of you who are finding your first Spanish treasure coins.

Here is how Alberto describes his find.

On my way home stopped at Turtle Trail early am and found what looks like a half reale, markings almost gone and thin but… first ever cob doesn’t look like a fake and I was super excited, what a thrill. will clean and see if I can spot markings to better identify the coin, any suggestions for the cleaning? thank you.


After emailing with Alberto, he added the following.

Yes, it is my first Spanish treasure coin, I still can't get over the feeling of finding it, to think that this coin was minted over 300 years ago in a mine probably in Bolivia (Potosi) and then came to rest on a beach in Florida to be found 300 years later is just incredible. The markings on the other side of the cross are barely visible, not sure if the cleaning might help but will try. Thanks for the tips.

Alberto is not just a reader of this blog; he is also a frequent contributor, so I'm especially glad that he was able to share the thrill of finding his first Spanish treasure coin.  

Alberto does some great photography.  You might remember his photos of the recent NASA launch, and he has helped me many times with photo editing.

Congratulations Alberto!

----

I also heard from Mike T.  Here is what he said.

Hey it’s Mike T. I’ve had the opportunity get out twice since the storm and boy did our beaches change here in Martin County. Definitely a lot of erosion from the very high surf but I was honestly surprised that some of the beaches I thought would be absolutely epic we’re not eroded as much. I realize it is from the straight on wave action we had and even though the waves were gigantic they came straight up the beach and washed over the dunes into the roads and parking lots . Sometimes a good nor’easter produces better cuts and finds than this hurricane did it’s all about the angle ! I did manage my nicest watch find to date on the first trip out Thursday and today I spent 5 1/2 hours working South Hutchinson Island in the area of house of refuge where there was so much heavy erosion. Lots of old green coins and random stuff. Lots of first time Metal Detectorists as well I might add. I would venture to say that my best finds from today were two square nails and one in very good condition. Sometimes Treasure is not what people think. It’s not always gold and diamonds or doubloons sometimes it’s just a really cool piece of history that has been preserved! It was nice to be out there for such a length of time today I have not done that in a long time. I will be taking Advil before bed for sure lol. Glad to see you have got out and had some good finds as well.

And here are Mike's photos.


Finds From Martin County Made by Mike T.


After Nicole - Finds  by  Mike T.




Watch Found by Mike T.




House of Refuge Area After Nicole.



Bathtub Beach.



Some of the Side Benefits of Metal Detecting On The Beach.
Photo by Mike T.

Thanks for sharing Mike!   Congratulations on the fine haul.

---

John Brooks Beach Saturday.

John Brooks beach changed a lot from Nicole.  The water had been high.  Sand was dragged out, and there is a big sand bar on the front of the beach.]

The photo below was taken as low tide approached from north of the access looking back towards the access.  There were several detectorists on the beach.


John Brooks Beach Saturday.


---

Maybe you've seen some news articles or YouTube videos on recent finds.  I plan on talking about that more some other time, but I hope you are putting two and two together.  Pay attention to fine details.  Sometimes there are some good clues put out there that aren't as obvious as Mount Rushmore.

I remember seeing one TV news segment showing the erosion down around the House of Refuge very early on.

There was some big erosion to both the north and south of the Indian River and St. Lucie counties.  Some places up towards north Florida got hit pretty good too.

---

Finds are still being made.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net