Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2022

11/19/22 Report - Many Treasure Coast Finds From Hurricane Nicole. Gold Ring Markings For Interpretation.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Pillars and Waves Reale Found by Mitch King.

I received these find photos and the following email message from Mitch King.

The attached pictures are some of my finds from Hurricane Nicole. I hunted the 2 low tides prior to the storm, a brief hunt during the storm and the 2 low tides after. My finds are from 4 different locations here on the Treasure Coast. The heavy erosion started the high tide the day before the storms arrival. There was no shortage of targets on 3 of the beaches I hunted. But some beaches filled right back in the 1st high tide after the storm. Others with cuts over 10 feet were still producing finds a few days after. There was debris all over with lots of dune crossover wood, stairs and hardware everywhere. I dug over 245 coins and another 100+ miscellaneous targets.

My modern coin finds were.

47 Quarters

39 Dimes

32 Nickels

127 Pennies

Plus several modern foreign coins, 3 silver dimes and several wheat back pennies.

I also found 3 rings and several small pieces of jewelry. Lots of fishing lures and weights

Of course the best find was the Spanish silver 1 Reale coin. Of the Pillar and Waves variety, I believe it dates around the mid 1650’s. I have contacted some experts for more information. It was very encrusted when I found it, but I knew what it was being odd shaped and very thin. I have done some light cleaning and electrolysis to help in its identification.

The attempt to hunt during the storm was very short, the waves were stronger and higher than I had expected and there was already tons of heavy debris in the water.

Mitch King
Vice President
Treasure Coast Archeological Society
Coin Hunter of the year Colchester England 2019


Hurricane Nicole Finds by MItch King.



Hurricane Nicole Finds by Mitch King.


Erosion Caused by Hurrican Nicole.
Photo by Mitch King.


Thanks much for sharing Mitch.  And congratulations on the great finds.

----

Ring Found by John


John sent the photos of this ring and the following email message.  


I found this ring before Covid.

I don’t know what or if there is any meaning to the symbols on the inside of the ring.

That is an unusual ring and very intersting ring.  Below you can see the markings on the inside.  




Markings On Inside of Ring Found by John.

That is a good closeup photo.

What do you think the markings indicate?  I have some thought, but what do you think?]


In a later email, John added the following.

I was up at Turtle Beach in Vero Beach. I had no hits only one that went out abut 5 feet in the water. A gentleman said it may have been a cannon. I estimated that it may be down about 3 or more feet.

---

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net