Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2022

11/26/22 Report - A Very Cool Find and A REALLY Old Find. Digital Currency.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Silver Pistol Grotesque Found by Cynthia B.
Photo by Cynthia B.

I received the above photo and following email message from Cynthia B., who provided excellent comments on my Thanksgiving Day post, which I won't include now.  She recommended the movie, Idiocracy, which I haven't seen.  I shortened that part of her email to focus her find.

Just a quick note on this day of Thanksgiving, to thank YOU for your excellent blog that I look forward to and read each day.


I so enjoyed your post today. It is so difficult these days to watch the recent “sweep of history“dragging western civilization back to darkness. I don’t know if you ever saw the movie “Idiocracy” but if not, you may enjoy it, it encapsulates the direction we are heading perfectly.,,


Since you are a fellow detectorist I know you won’t mind if I share with you my greatest find. I doubt I will ever find anything I love more. I was detecting a pasture along the Connecticut River, and finding many wrought iron tent stakes about 10 to 12 inches long and I knew they were old, also tractor bits and a couple oldish coins. Then I found a very badly corroded counterfeit pewter 8 reale. I was thrilled with that even though that coin was in such terrible shape. Then before I headed for home I got a beautiful signal and out came this. It’s roughly an inch and a quarter in diameter. I didn't even know what it was until I posted pics of it on a metal detecting forum online and someone said it looks like a “pistol grotesque”. I did a bit of research on pistol grotesques and yes, it definitely is a decorative silver “grotesque” that adorned flintlock pistols from 1760 to about 1780 or so. It must have popped off someone’s pistol! This pic was snapped before I got it cleaned up. Pretty ferocious looking! Not quite a lions face, but not a mans face either. So anyway, that’s my favorite find. Well, best of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.


That is a great find Cynthia.  Anyone of us would like to see that coming out of the ground. 

Thanks for sharing.

---

If you like to find old stuff, this one is VERY old - like hundreds of millions.

It was found in a Pennsylvania creek bed.


Coral Head Found by Rob G. In Pennsylvania Creek Bed.

The geologic column of Pennsylvania spans from the Precambrian to Quaternary. During the early part of the Paleozoic, Pennsylvania was submerged by a warm, shallow sea. This sea would come to be inhabited by creatures like brachiopods, bryozoans, crinoids, graptolites, and trilobites.

Thanks Rob.

---

A centrally controlled digital currency is being discussed aby some governments and could become "the" money of planet earth.  Wouldn't it be nice if all money was digital and controlled by a central bank?  I don't think so either.  If you want all of your wealth and transactions to be in the hands of a central agency, you'll love this.   Here is a link for more about that.

What Is a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC)? (investopedia.com)

I've written for years about coins and physical money being replaced and the effects that would have.   It goes way beyond the disappearance of coins in circulation and on the beach.  That does not even scratch the surface. in

Here are some of the issues described by investopedia in the article.

Issues a CBDC Creates Explained

  • The financial structure of the U.S. could drastically change. How a change would affect household expenses, investments, banking reserves, interest rates, the financial services sector, or the economy is unknown
  • The effects a switch to CBDC would have on a financial system's stability are unknown. For example, there may not be enough central bank liquidity to facilitate withdrawals during a financial crisis.
  • Central banks implement monetary policy to influence inflation, interest rates, lending, and spending, which in turn affects employment rates. Central banks will need to ensure they have the tools they need to positively influence the economy.
  • Privacy is one of the most significant drivers behind cryptocurrency. CBDCs would require an appropriate amount of intrusion by authorities to monitor for financial crimes; monitoring is also important because it supports efforts to combat money laundering and the financing of terrorism.
  • As has been witnessed on several occasions, cryptocurrencies have been the target of hackers and thieves. A central bank-issued digital currency would likely attract the same crowd of thieves, so efforts to prevent system penetration and theft of assets and information would need to be significant.

I'm sure that would help solve a lot of problems, such as preventing unwanted transactions, making collection of fines and fees automatic, accomplishing reparations, funding political parties and projects, etc. etc. 

---

There are some big high tides now, but the surf is only around three feet.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net