Search This Blog

Monday, November 28, 2022

11/28/22 Report - 1715 Fleet Gold Bar and Record Setting Medal Sale. Ages and Stages Of Metal Detecting. Bigger Surf Coming.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, a bump in surf is predicted for the end of the week.  It is the time of year when we get some fronts coming through and some rougher surf.  Thankfully they haven't yet replenished the beaches that lost sand since the last round of replenishment even though some of that replenishment sand is still in place.  Even when it has been moved off the beach, it is still somewhat effective in damping the wave energy that hits the beach.  The high tides are still pretty high too.

---

Medal Sold For Over In Most Recent Sedwick Auction.

A unique American silver medal depicting the presentation of the Declaration of Independence set a new record during Daniel Frank Sedwick LLC's November 3 and 4 Treasure Auction 32.

The live online and floor auction was itself a record sale for the firm with over $4.27 million sold across 1,622 lots...

The pre-sale estimate for the lot was $25,000 and up. After spirited bidding, both online and via phone, the medal sold for $168,000 USD...

Also.

A unique gold bar recovered from the “Corrigan’s” wreck site of a 1715 Fleet treasure ship at Vero BeachFlorida attracted heavy bidding.

The gold ingot, weighing 915 grams and marked with a fineness of 22k, was made in Colombia before being shipped to Spain in the ill-fated fleet. It bears the royal tax stamp as well as a decorated assayer/foundry stamp (B)ARBACO(A)S indicating its origin from the important Colombian gold mining town, Barbacoas. Salvors recovered the bar in 1983 and, soon after, it went into the collection of 1715 Fleet investor Don Anderson...

With an estimate of $60,000 to $90,000, considerable bidding led to a final sale price of $132,000 for the 1715 Fleet gold bar...

Here is the link for more highlights from the most recently concluded Sedwick auction.


And here is a picture of the bar.

1715 Fleet Gold Bar Recently Sold in Sedwick Auction of $132,000.
Source: Email From Sedwick.

---

The different ages and stages of life arrive and are revealed as you get older.  That might seem like a funny way to put it, but that is how it seems to me.  As the years go by, life looks different and priorities change.

When it comes to metal detecting, I once followed the "dig everything" way, for example.  I spent a lot of time in the field despite having a jobs and other responsibilities.  But my jobs provided a lot of flexibility and time off so I found considerable time to metal detect.  I was lucky.  I had the time to dig everything and had no back problems or anything like that to limit me.  I will still dig everything at times, but at other times I will skip some things.  I didn't used to discriminate much other than iron.  For one thing, my detectors didn't give conductance numbers or anything like that.  The detectors I mostly used in those days did null on iron.  In other words, the detector went quiet over iron objects.  I could tell there was iron there, but I didn't need to dig it.  Now I'll dig iron, but only strategically, and when it seems justified by the situation - for example in an area where I might expect the possibility of interesting iron artifacts or mixed metal items of value, or sometimes to remove iron items that might be masking better items.  But those are all strategic decisions, and mistakes might still be made, so the risk/reward ratio is considered.  I could say dig everything, as I still generally  recommend, but there are other considerations that I appreciate now, but didn't always.  As time goes by, you see things differently, and you look back and understand more.

Among other things, it is common to change how you view your finds.  Things that were once a big accomplishment can become common, or at least, not so exciting.  If you hunt a lot, you might accumulate a lot of things, and as your collection grows, things that were once your favorite finds might be replaced by new and better finds.  Some of your earlier finds might not seem so impressive anymore.  They were once big accomplishments.  But as you find more, they might no longer be at the top of your list of favorite finds.

And then there comes the time when you realize that you won't always be around and maybe you should pass on some of your favorites, but will they have the same meaning to someone else?  They won't.  Afterall, no one else will have memories of hunts or the excitement of making the find.  They won't know what it meant to you to find your first whatever.  They can't.  They will have their own firsts, their own experiences and discoveries.  

But on the other hand, sometimes your finds mean more to others than you know.  Among the few items that I have passed on at this point, some have gone into books, fine collections, and even museums.  So there can be times when items are actually better appreciated in their new home.  And they don't have to be the biggest or most valuable finds.  Sometimes something that doesn't' seem all that impressive to you, can be just the piece that was needed to do a job somewhere else.  Maybe it fills a gap, or provides a new bit of information, or becomes part of an educational activity for others.

I don't think I've ever sold any coins, and I don't intend to very soon, but I have sold some other things.  I was very happy to discover something I sold on ebay years ago went into a display in a museum up north.  It was something that I didn't highly esteem at the time, and it wasn't real value, but it was something that fit the needs of the museum and became a major part of a display.  That was a delightful surprise.  That item found a better home and was more valuable somewhere else than with me.

I often think that someday some of my finds will be buried for someone else to find.  I'll let those items provide some fun for somebody else the same way they surprised and delighted me.

===

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcsat;net