Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2022

11/3/22 Reoirt - Hoard Found. Sedwick Auction Goes LIve Thursday. Coin Errors. Bigger Surf Predicted.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.




Some people aren't interested in the auctions, but I am. I've made too many mistakes in the field by not recognizing the significance of an item when it was dug. You never know what you might find and it helps a lot to quickly recognize significance of finds. You will not get a better chance to view and study such a large variety of treasures than the opportunity provided by these auctions.

I've told this story before, but the first time a visited an area where I found 18th and 19th century items, I failed to recognize one find that would have changed how and where I detected that day.  I was detecting a steep hillside on a Carribean Island, which was a new experience for me.  Up until that time I had been detecting South Florida tourist beaches.  

I got a signal and dug up a twisted piece of rusted metal. I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time. Remember, I had virtually no experience in relic hunting at the time and had not been paying much attention to iron targets.  I later wished that I had detected that area much more thoroughly and would have if I correctly identified the item as a musket lock when I first dug it up.

I made a similar error much more recently. I don't have much time to spend metal detecting anymore, so when I'm out there, I don't stop to study things much when I dig them up. But one day I dug a corroded 16th century coin, and I didn't take enough time to inspect it. I hurriedly stuck in my pocket, not taking time to discover its significance and continued detecting as before.  If I immediately recognized what it was, I would have slowed down and detected that area much better when I was there.

I won't try to tell you about all the times I wish I would have recognized a dug item immediately, but you can study a large variety of items by browsing the auction listings, and it might just make the difference between correctly identifying an important metal detecting find or missing an important piece of information.

---


The U.S. Sun recently reported that a rare quarter — minted in the year 2000 with an error on it — has sold for $216 on eBay. The coin is part of the state Washington quarters series featuring New Hampshire, but it was struck onto a Jefferson nickel.

But that’s not the most expensive rare coin, the U.S. Sun reports. Rare Washington quarters minted in 1932 can sell for as much as $13,573, according to USA Coin Book. Errors and rare mintages give coins the highest re-sale value, per The U.S. Sun....

Here is the link.

Have Any $200 Quarters Lying Around? It’s Worth Checking Your Spare Change (msn.com)

---

Here is an article about a Viking hoard find.

Source: See Arkeoloogerna link below.


The treasure was found during an archeological excavation of a Viking Age settlement in Täby outside Stockholm, an area thought to have been inhabited for several hundred years. The archeologists have found more than 20 houses and buildings, the earliest dating from around 400 AD, continuing into the Viking Age (800–1050 AD) and early Middle Ages. The treasure was buried under what was once a wooden floor in a building. The coins were deposited in a pouch made of linen, which together with the jewellery had been put into a small ceramic pot.

– When I started to carefully remove the neck rings one by one, I had this extraordinary feeling of “they just keep coming and coming”. In total there were eight high quality torque-style neck rings, extraordinary well preserved despite having been made and deposited almost a thousand years ago. They looked almost completely new, Maria Lingström says...

Here is the link for more about that.


---


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

This looks linteresting.  If it actually happens the way it is predicted, the only thing that is missing is some north winds, but they are predicted for at least a little while.  The tides are decent too, but we'll have to wait to see what actually happens with the predictions the next co9uple of days.

Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net