Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2022

12/16/22 Report - South Hutchinson Island Beaches This Morning. Coca Cola Bottles Found and Sold. Surf Decreasing.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Blind Creek Early Friday Morning.

I was glad to get out on the beach this morning, just because I hadn't been able to all week, but the beaches didn't look particularly good.  Blind Creek was not bad even though it, like the others, was building.  It was interesting, although you can't see that very well in the photo.  It was somewhat scalloped.  The beach front was relatively steep.  There were a lot of shells at the water line that were getting exposed and washed up onto the beach .  A steep front leaves courses materials rather than fine sand on the beach front.  A line of greenies was found.



Frederick Douglass Beach Early Friday Morning.

Frederick Douglass beach was similar, but not as steep or firm as Blind Creek.


John Brooks Early Friday Morning.

John Brooks was about the same.  It was pretty mushy, like Douglass.


John Brooks Early Friday Morning.


Fort Pierce South Jetty was really poor.  It was accumulating sand too.  There were a good number of shells up near the inlet.  Some people were collecting shells, but I saw no other detectorists today anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start renourishment at South Jetty again.  

Fort Pierce South Jetty Early Friday.


A couple tires were on the beach.  Not sure where they came from.


Fort Pierce South Jetty.

To get the most value out of these photos, relate what the surf, wind, angles and tides have been doing to create the current conditions.  All the beaches were building.  You should know why.  

Blind Creek showed the results of more wave energy coming onto the beach, while John Brooks, and Frederick Douglass showed the effects of slightly less wave energy.   You could see that in the shape of the beach and the composition of the beaches.  The slope of Blind Creek was covered with coarser sand, which is what you would expect.  There were also more seasoned coins found on that firmer slope.

---

---

Found and Sold Coca Cola Bottles
After Cleaning by Buyer.



I sell almost none of my finds, but I have sold some bottles.  Thses went to one collector whose family was in the Coca Cola bottling business.  Above are those that I recently sold.  When I found them, they looked pretty bad.  They had barnacles and other stuff attached.  The buyer cleaned them up, as shown above.  I asked him about an Avon Park Coca Cola bottle that was one of those I sold, and he provided the following reply.


I use the Coke Bottle Checklist by Bill Porter.  In broad terms, there is not great data regarding rarity.  Porter's reference is widely accepted to be the best.  His information is based on a lifetime of collecting and discussion/input from other collectors and dealers.  The information is therefore imperfect, but the best available.

The Avon Park bottle I just got from you was a Patent D bottle from 1948.  He has it as Scarce (estimated to be 100-250 approximately).   Interestingly, one of the bottles I got from you a few years ago was Avon Park from 1923 also listed as Scarce.  In my limited experience, Scarce doesn't seem to be that unusual (though the numbers estimated might indicate otherwise).  It is Porter's least rare distinction after Generally Available.  Next he uses Rare (20-100 approx.) and Very Rare (1-20) to delineate more unusual bottles.

So there is a good resource for researching Coke bottles: The Coke Bottle Checklist by Bill Poerter.

I recommended using white vinegar to dissolve the barnacles and other residue.  White vinegar nicely dissolves barnacles and similar things.

I didn't find too much when I researched the Avon Park Coca Cola bottles, which is why I asked the buyer about them.  

Maybe someone out there knows more about the Avon Park bottling works or can find a photo of the building.

---

I still have finds that I need to clean and identify.  


Source MagicSeaWeed.com.


Good hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net