Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

12/20/22 Report - Axes Hit Gold. What One Reader Learned This Year. Evaluating Erosion. Moderating Tides.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source The Guardian (link below)


A collection of polished “lumps of stone” found in a burial mound near Stonehenge more than two centuries ago are a 4,000-year-old goldsmith’s toolkit, archaeologists have said.

Microscopic reanalysis of axes and shaped cobbles found in the grave has revealed tiny traces of gold and wear marks, showing they were used by a skilled craftsperson to hammer and smooth sheets of gold...

Here is the link for more about that.

Archaeologists say find near Stonehenge is ancient goldsmith’s toolkit | Archaeology | The Guardian

---

A few days ago I asked people to describe something they learned this year.  Rich H. sent his response along with a couple photos.

Various Finds by Rich H.



Below is what Rich said.


Thanks again for all your hard work on the Treasure Beaches Report. I have been a reader and a fan for several years and enjoy every article. I’m in Colorado but have made it out to the Treasure Coast three times. The information you have shared so freely has helped me immensely, not only with beach detecting, but with detecting in general.

 

I have learned so much this year, but I think one of the most important things I have learned occurred during my last Treasure Coast visit in March. The “renourishment” sand was the worst I’ve seen in three years and targets were few and far between at all the beaches we visited. So at one point I just stopped detecting and decided instead of trying to cover as much beach as I could in a day, I’d just pick a couple of areas that looked more promising and go low and slow and that’s when I learned to hear really deep targets. Then I dug some of the deepest and smallest targets I’ve ever found anywhere, some down to 16 inches. While I don’t think I found any cobs, I did make some interesting finds considering the conditions and enjoyed myself much more.

 

Sorry that was more than one sentence. J

 

Here’s what I found that trip minus the modern trash, which I didn’t mind getting off the beaches, and a photo of the real treasure (below).

 

Merry Christmas!

Rich H


The Real Treasure by Rich H.

Thanks Rich.  It is better to spend your time on more promising areas than trying to cover an entire beach.


I hope others will send notes describing something they learned this year.


----


You might want to revisit this introduction to firearms of the Spanish fleets and conquest.


The Treasure Beaches Report Direct From Florida's Treasure Coast.: 12/3/19 Report - Pirate Ship Artifacts Found. Part I of A Brief Introduction to Firearms of the Spanish Conquest and Treasure Fleets.


----


I previously described a variety of factors to consider when trying to predict erosion, but what makes it especially difficult is erosion is will vary from one small area to another.  There are times, such as we saw last month, when there is erosion over moch of the Treasure Coast, but there are also times when only a few isolated aeras will erode.  If you visit one beach, you might see a lot of erosion, but then visit another beach and find none.  So when you talk about erosion, often you'll need to talk about particular beaches, and even different areas of the particular beach.  You might have erosion to the north but not to the south for example.  

You can stop at a beach, look out and see no erosion, but if you walk a little way around the bend, you might see some good erosion.  And as I said before, it isn't always easy to visually evaluate the amount of erosion.  The slope of the beach can be moved back in such a way that there won't be any cuts.  There can be a lot of erosion out there, but you can miss it by either not being in the right place or not recognizing it.


If you can't measure something, you can't predict it.  You wouldn't know if you were right or wrong, or how right or wrong you might be.   If you can't measure something (ie erosion) you can't even "operationally" define the thing to be measured.


---


Source MagicSeaWeed.com.


As you can see, the surf is decreasing.  The tides are also more moderate now.


Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net