Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2022

12/17/22 Report - Interesting Local Florida History. Coca Cola Bottle. Message Bearing Lead Slingshot Projectile. Shot Lead.

 

Written by the TresureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


2,200-Year-Old Sling Bullet Bearing Insciption.

Here is the link for more about that.

2,200-year-old Greek Sling Bullet Discovered In Israel - I24NEWS

That reminded me of how messages were written on bombs during WW II and other wars as shown below.

Bombs Bearing Messages.


It appears that the psychology of the warrior and the personal nature of war hasn't changed much over the centuries.

---

Yesterday I mentioned some found Coca Cola bottles that I found and sold.  I mentioned an Avon Park bottle in particular, and my readers came through again.  Ron J., who is wintering in Sebastian, just arrived from Stuttgart, Germany.  He found the following photo on Pinterest.  It shows what appears to be the Coca Cola bottling works in Avon Park burning down in 1974.  Notice the big Coke bottle left of the telephone pole.


Avon Park Coca Cola Bottling Works on Fire.

Ron's information helped me to find another photo of the bottling plant from 1930.  Here it is.

Avon Park Coca Cola Bottling 
Works (1930) And Big Coke Bottle.

I love when you can get that kind of history and context to go along with a find , especially when it has an element of Florida history.  

Avon Park, with a population of just a few thousand is the largest town in Highlands County Florida. 

I remember visiting the Coca Cola bottling works in the town where I grew up when I was younger when our Boy Scout troop got a tour.

Thanks again to Ron J. for his help.

---

Below is a flattened slightly domed shot bullet that I recently dug up a few days ago.


Very Flattened Shot Bullet.

On the left is a slightly domed, but very flattened and spread bullet, on the right is the back of the same shot bullet.

It would seem to me that all the information is there that would tell someone who knows how to read such things what kind of substance flattened this bullet.  I hope someone can tell me.  

---

I think some of my recent cobs have some nice features to show.  I have to get around to cleaning and photographing those.

---

As we come to the end of another year, I want to try something.  Whether you are a novice or an experienced detectorist of several decades, I'd like to receive a brief description of one thing you learned from metal detecting or treasure hunting this year.  Try to state it in one or just a few sentences.  It might be more difficult to remember revelations from earlier in the year, and I think Nicole was very instructive too.  Maybe it was something you sorta knew before, but just understood better lately.  It could be about our beaches, finds, your metal detector, some bit of history, metal detecting techniques, or how to clean or photograph finds, for example.  

---


The surf is down to around four or five feet now, but if you noticed, the tides have dropped a little too.

Good hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net