Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2022

12/31/22 Report - 1866 Mystery Find. Couple Nice Bottle Finds. Toys and Book Finds.

 

Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Ayer's Sarsparilla Bottle and Carter's Cone Ink Bottle.
Found by Joe D.


I received the following email and these photos from Joe D.


Went out detecting yesterday for first time since my last post to you! Not surprisingly, the addition of 4 to 5 foot of sand to the beach led to few finds!

So on way home, I decided to stop at the Indian River! Had my eye on a few spots to sight hunt since I moved here, but it was either too hot or wrong tide, or i was busy! Hit it just after low tide, and was rewarded fairly quickly with these two!! An Ayers Sarsaprilla bottle, and a Carters ink bottle. Also got an intact Ball jar, but it looks just like the modern versions! And of course, some broken china and bottles.

Wanted to go here right after the storms, but didn't work out.

Always been interested in all your bottle hunt finds, and it motivated me to finally start! Now I'm hooked already. Boy, that was tough!🤣
I'll post any more as I find them.
Thanks, And Happy New Year!🎉


There is another example of, "There is always some place to hunt and something to find."  I like switching it up.  When one type of hunting isn't great, or you can't get out to your favorite spot. do something else.  

Those bottles can be sold for a few bucks.  I've sold a few of the Carter's ink bottles, and I saw the Ayer's bottle listed in one place online for $36.  I like finding bottles and it doesn't require the expense of a metal detector.  


Joe followed up by sending another email and photo, shown below.



Also thought you would get a laugh at this!! My wife has no interest in detecting, or bottle hunting (yet)! But she likes "Estate" sales and got these this morning!! Normally she buys vintage clothing to sell on her online store, but I guess I'm beginning to rub off on her, after 25 years!!😂👍👍
Joe D.

Collectible Cars and Books
Found by Joe's wife at an estate sale.

---


Yesterday (Friday) my wife was out gardening and came in to show me what she dug up. Here they are.



Crushed Tin Drinking Cup and Broken Insulator Found By Wife
Digging Up Unwanted Plants.



Her finds told me there were some older things where she was digging, and I hadn't metal detected that area.  She had cleared some brush, and I could now get my detector in where I couldn't before.

You might remember all the railroad items I dug near my home, including a few of those tin cups.

Below is an item I found. when I detected the newly opened area.



Two Views of Unidentified Mystery Item Dug Friday.


The mystery item appears to read: APPROVED. KEYSTONE. PATD. OCT. 16, 1866. I am not entirely sure of APPROVED. I am only sure of the PROVE. There are three characters that I can't make out.  Maybe I'll be able to see those letters better when the object is cleaned better.

I'm hoping someone can help identify the item.  The patent date is not long after the Civil War ended.  Of course, it could have been used and lost significantly later than that.

You might be surprised by what you can find in your own yard or just next door.  This is a good time to check out overgrown areas.  We had a dry summer, and it is a time of year when there isn't as much vegetation so you might be able to detect areas that were difficult or impossible before.  The weather is also better during the winter.


---

The surf is around three or four feet but will be gradually increasing down to two feet by the end of the week.

Happy New Year.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net