Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2022

12/17/22 Report - See Tons of Finds Made by Treasure Coast Detectorist. Alphabetized list of beach finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.

Finds by Mitch King.

I received the following email and these great find photos from Mitch King.  You'll be interested to read what he is sharing.


I wanted to share my Thanksgiving week finds. November was an unbelievable month for metal detecting here on the Treasure coast. And what a great Thanksgiving week it was. First off, we have a lot of erosion by Hurricane Nicole. Then we had a strong northeast wind and high tides for Thanksgiving week. I have already made a post of my Hurricane Nicole finds. Now for my Thanksgiving week finds.

The beaches here in Vero and Wabasso quickly filled back in right after the hurricane. But if you knew where to go there were still places producing lots of finds. With the northeast wind cuts were there one day and gone the next. You just had to keep looking for the right locations. And man did I find a few spots. Not for Spanish Treasure but coins and jewelry. Plus, lots and lots of lead fishing weights.

I found a few older silver coins and wheat back pennies. The big silver was a badly ate up 1953 Franklin Half-dollar. I had found over $30 in quarters alone! Each time out, I found so many weights I was getting loaded down. So if I saw someone fishing, I gave them a hand full. Still brought home over 15 pounds in lead for the week.

My ring count for November was over 20! In 30+ years detecting the Treasure Coast, I have never found that many in a single month. Plus I got a 10K gold cross, a 14L Gold Chain and pendant.

The best in that’s weeks finds is the ladies Diamond Ring. 14K and 60 diamonds total. Marked AJ for A.J. Hedges jewelry, they when out of business sometime in the mid 1950‘s.

In total I hit 9 low tides Thanksgiving week so there are some night time group finds I forgot to take pictures of.

My final coin total from the month of November was near $75. Right place, right time.....
Oh and I found 3 small bronze laughing Buddha statues too.


Mitch King
Vice President
Treasure Coast Archeological Society
Master Hunter of the year 2022

Here is the link to see Mitch's Nicole finds, if you missed that post.
 Treasure Beaches Report: Pt. 2. (2020 and Beyond). : 11/19/22 Report - Many Treasure Coast Finds From Hurricane Nicole. Gold Ring Markings For Interpretation. (tbr2020.blogspot.com)


And below are more of his Thanksgiving week finds.


Diamond Ring Found by Mitch King.


Gold Chain and Pendant Found by Mitch King.


Gold Cross Found by Mitch King.


Coins Found by Mitch King.

Keys Found by Mitch King.



Sinkers Found by Mitch King.

Three Buddhas Found by Mitch King.


Congratulations Mitch, and thanks much for sharing once again.

Some guys hunt only Spanish treasure and miss out on a lot of other stuff that is out there to be found.  There are times, as few as they might be, when you can find both modern and old Spanish on the same beach and in the same area, but if you focus on one rather than the other, you can miss a lot.  Many modern finds are worth more than most old Spanish coins.  A gold ring, for example, can easily be worth more than a silver cob.  I know some people prefer to find the old stuff, but there is a lot of amazing things to be found on the Treasure Coast.  It isn't a bad idea to hunt both modern and old items or switch from one to another depending upon where you are and what areas are producing.  I don't like to walk over one kind of treasure while pursuing and ignoring another kind. 

To remind you of the variety of types of things you can look for on the beach, just yesterday I started to put together an alphabetized list of the different kinds of things I've found.  I haven't finalized the list, but I think this is a good time to put it out there just to give you the idea.  I'm sure I'll think of other found items in the future and I might elaborate on some of the types of finds.


 Arrowheads

Bracelets, Bullets, Bottles, Bones, Boards

Coins, Chains, Charms, Copper, Counterfeit coins.

Diamonds, Drugs, Dive gear

Emeralds, Escudos

Fossils, Fishing gear

Gold nuggets

Hats

Indigenous artifacts

Junk, Jewelry

Keys, Knives, Kang-hsi

Locks, Lockets

Medallions

Necklaces

Opal, Onyx, Oar, Oar lock

Pendants, Pottery, Porcelain

Quartz

Reales, Rings, Rahman noodles (packaged)

Silver, Space debris, Shells, Spikes, Sea glass

Toys, Tools, Tungsten jewelry

U

V

Watches, Whistles, Wine

X

Y

Zircons


I've found all of those plus some unusual or strange things.  I should make a list of those someday.

As you can see I am missing U, V, X and Y at this point.  Maybe you can help me think of some of those if you got them and maybe I forgot about them.

I know some of the categories overlap, but I can't come up with categories that in all cases are mutually exclusive.  

What things have you found that begin with the letters that I don't have on my list?  Or maybe some other major categories that I don't have on mhy list.

----

Also, I asked if you could send me a descriptioin of something you learend this year.  If I get enough of them, I'll post the list in a future post.

I'll also show you some other new finds including a reale that was found late this week.

Good hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net