Search This Blog

Thursday, November 12, 2020

11/12/20 Report - Still Some Decent Hunting Out There. Dating Nails. Using Multiple Metal Detectors.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Wabasso
Submitted by JamminJack.

Actually the decrease in surf can be a good thing - along as there is not too much beach filling.  For one thing, it give you  chance to hunt areas that were difficult to get to when the surf was bigger.


Nice Cut Beach Wednesday.

The cut shown above has two steps: one from the bigger surf earlier in the week, and one that came later when the surf was not as big.

As I mentioned yesterday there are a lot of coins out there.  And there are several beaches where the orange/brown older sand is now near the surface.  That is true of some Vero area beaches as well as some on South Hutchinson Island.

There are also a few beaches with some great shell piles at the water's edge.  

I had been using an Equinox detector a lot lately.  It is my scouting around detector.  I can move fast with it, cover a lot of ground, and get a good idea what an area is might hold without spending much time.  I like it for investigating an area.

But then after I find a good concentration of targets and take the quick targets and it is time for a more intense search, I might go to something like an Garrett ATX.

Sometimes I wish I had a caddy to carry around my detectors so I could switch in the field.  I've said this before, but metal detectors are something like golf clubs.  One is good for one situation and another might be better for another situation.   But I can't carry more than one around at a time, and sometimes I get pretty far away from the car.

Switching from one detector to another might require some adjustment though, especially if you've used one detecctor a lot lately and the other one not so much.

Just to give an example, a quarter sounds much bigger with an ATX after using the Equinox.  With the ATX, a quarter sounds as big as a soda can.

Once you've cleaned out a hot spot, you might be surprised how much more you find if you go over it once more, more slowly, especially if you use a different detector the second time.

---

Two Recent Finds With Penny For Comparison.

The ring is lead and looks like it was once a seal.

The other coin-like object is unidentifiable.  Maybe some cleaning will help.


Shank of Square Nail Found Yesterday.

A couple square nails were found near the other objects shown above.  Here is the shank of one.  Note the heavy patina, which is very similar to that of the unidentified object.

Here are a couple charts that might help you determine the age of nails.





I don't know where I got those right off.

---

Looks like Eta will be crossing over north Florida and heading out into the Atlantic.

The surf will be down around two to four feet for a couple days.  Next week it might be up again.


Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net